AuthorTopic: Vespa...*Things...*  (Read 12596 times)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Vespa...*Things...*

on: February 06, 2007, 06:02:24 am
Current (mine <----> helm's)

Been getting ideas of a game flowing through my head, and so I decided to go with it.  this is the main sprite, a female, who rides a vespa scooter (which i'll work on afterwards.)  Inspired by, you guessed it, FLCL.

EDIT -

I really wanted a hip color scheme, for the character's personality.  I'm a bit disappointed the legs turned out so symmetrical, because i'm no good with dynamic poses.  Some things that bother me: don't want to use a darker version of the base for any of the shades (I'm content with the hair), want to avoid outlines in the final product while still keeping the piece noticeable in a bright backdrop...

i've attemtped moving the base hues into blue for shades, but mspaint really makes it troublesome since i can't mix or adjust colors.

Any suggestions?  I'm going to animate this after i get the base finished.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:47:17 am by Gnarf »

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Re: Vespa...*Things...*

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:55:17 am
Sorry that I can't give you too much depth in my feedback but so far that looks awesome.  The line art is great.  As far as the colours go, I like the hair, but I think the other colours could... well, if I have time tomorrow morning I'll do an edit. Her left arm looks a tad long/fat to me.  I'm not sure what I'd do but as mentioned above, if I have time I'll do an edit. 

A point of curiosity, why do you use MSPaint?  Why not switch to something easier, at least for the colour choosing?

Anyway, looks rad so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:43 am
MSPaint is the only free program I have.  If you have any other suggestions, i'd be glad to hear them.

And thanks!  Looking forward to the edit.

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:06:29 am
Look on this one (Ar's going too kill me xD):
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2799/ninja5sd1.gif

MSPaint is the only free program I have.
GraphicsGale is good and free (free edition):
http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/download.html
Or Pro Motion, but its only 30 day trial.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 07:09:10 am by TeenIce »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:07:49 am
that's hot.  there's alot of different way's you could go with this. part of me wants to see it shaded while the other part is happy with the flat style. i'll trust your instincts :)
 i definitley wanna see it animated though :y: the whatever she's holding could extend back a bit.
i like the long fat arms cause that's how i roll.

i'm tryna work up enough cash to buy pro-mo. i know what its like to be stuck with paint >_< and to hate graphics gale >_<
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:13:38 am
@teenice, sorry, what are you suggesting with the first image?  thanks for the link, but i'm not too fond of GG.

@akira, i'm sort of arguing between the two as well, but that's mainly because i'm afraid to shade it.  she's holding a crowbar.  And for the animation (for the idle, at least) i'm considering making the left fist clench and open while she breathes.  and yeah, i want pro motion as well, as graphics gale's free edition doesn't even allow .gifs. :[

thanks!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:30:57 am
It seems to me that if you didn't like the transfer from Paint to GraphicsGale, ProMotion would be even worse.

Also, I prefer the first color scheme. The tight pants and the star patterns really aren't working for me.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:46 am
@teenice, sorry, what are you suggesting with the first image?  thanks for the link, but i'm not too fond of GG.
You could use that color palette.

It seems to me that if you didn't like the transfer from Paint to GraphicsGale, ProMotion would be even worse.
GraphicsGale or ProMotion have only color palette, preview and tools in keyboard keys. Paint dont have it - and i think that makes him uncomfortable (at least for me).

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 08:59:48 am
okay, the shirt wasn't working for me either, but i'm still left with the pink, only buttons this time:

I don't know, in terms of the style of it all, I feel as though it's done, but on a bright background it's painful on the eyes, mainly the shirt.

@teenice, ah, okay, i'd rather pick my own colors based on suggestion, but i'm liking the red scarf.  and graphics gale's interface doesn't bother me much - in fact, i'd buy it if I had a way to.  It's really just the free version doesn't seem worth using when i could do just as much in mspaint.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:29:47 am
you should add physiological traits of a woman, even if stylized so this doesn't read like it's a guy. It does now. Give her hips-to-thinner-legs and whatnot