AuthorTopic: rpg sprites/tiles.  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Kren

• View Profile

rpg sprites/tiles.

on: February 04, 2007, 07:40:33 pm
Well, I have been working in this for a month or so <.< I know it doesn't look that great, but that's because I got some monitor problems( now fixed :D) this is what I got so far.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: rpg sprites/tiles.

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:34:44 pm
nicely done, but somehow, even thought it is saved as PNG, it looks to me a little like a JPEG, I think there problem, is your style of shading the ground and the trees. The shading looks very random, and the highlights do not really "fit" with the others colors in my opinion. I think the light green on the grass, could stand to be a bit darker, and maybe a wee bit more saturated. The fair maidens breasts are to big, and her waist is to thin.

Edit-in hindsight...The colors isen't the problem, but for some reason this peice looks blurry..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:32:23 am
I disagree, I think the colors ARE problematic :P  but the main thing is your grass tile.  I'd recommend a couple of things:

1 - use more than 2 colors
2 - use more than 1 tile
3 - once you are using more than 2 colors you can actually paint it to look like grass instead of weird random lines!

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:31 am
I disagree, I think the colors ARE problematic :P  but the main thing is your grass tile.  I'd recommend a couple of things:

1 - use more than 2 colors
2 - use more than 1 tile
3 - once you are using more than 2 colors you can actually paint it to look like grass instead of weird random lines!
hmm, a darker or lighter colour? yeah I tried to use more than One tile but it didn't ended good. also, any comments on the tree and dirt tiles?

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 09:54:26 am
It seems like it's heading in the right direction but needs some tuning, especially on the palette.
The first problem is the grass tiles -they cover a very large area, and therefore can easily get repetitive, so you may want to create more versions of the grass tile ,  but also think about creating a variety of tiles that contain patches of differently colored grass,flower beds, dirt patches, rocks etc, just to break it up a bit.
As for the tile itself - it's extremely noisy, and feels uncomfortable to look at. I would follow Adam's advice and add another green - perhaps one between the two existing tones so you'd be able to smooth things out a bit.

The trees (especially their tops) have very high contrast and to me they feel metallic, like balls of tin foil.  Perhaps you should tone down those highlights, and limit them to a smaller region on the tree. Search these forums for a great selection of tree sprites for reference.

The sprites are cute and easily distinguishable, but I think that that black lines used for detailing inside the sprite area are a bit too harsh and make them hard to read.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:41:24 pm

(in the original this part had 13 colors, the edit has 11)
extremly quick edit. tried to improve the colors a bit (still far from perfect) I think you should work on the shading of the trees and the grass. especially the trees look like totally random pixeled

Offline Ar

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:03:10 am
Read this tutorial, it will help you to improve this work. :)
Every pixel is important.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:43:55 pm
ejay: the grass has been fixed but still could use alot of work, I will upload it later, since I want to see if it fits with the style, yeah I am missing a lot of tiles, ( flowers, rock, high grass probably, and bushes) I just remade the trees, changed the palette this is the result:
 For the NPCs, I will use a darker tone, so it doesn't look to harsh..

philipptr: thanks that helps, after reading your post, I realized it did look like random lines making a tree.

Ar: I have read that tutorial like 5 times <.< it is just that I need to practice more and read less :P

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:26:01 pm
all of your tiles suffer from incredible noise; try using, fewer, larger, and more important/characteristic marks in your work to make things more attractive. 

also i would be careful about using characters that so closely resemble squaresoft's seiken desetsu style of sprites, just to avoid the association and the possible implications thereof.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:36:38 pm
thanks alot Adarias, yeah the similutudes are really incredible from the middle red t-shirt guy with SoM main character, but I wasn't inspired by him, I was inspired by Toma from Chrono Trigger, and Lucca's father some how pose, I will change it though, unless you meant other character.

I am not satisfied with the grass. I will try to do different type of grasses, instead of using three colours I will use two, apart from the one in the picture, one with darker tones and the other one with lighter tone, and the regular one..