AuthorTopic: Newb Wants to Learn  (Read 7216 times)

Offline FatalFetus

• Free thinkers are dangerous..
    • View Profile

Newb Wants to Learn

on: October 02, 2005, 02:35:30 pm
Hey everyone, this would be my first post here.. I heard Pixelopolis had harsh c & c so I figure because Im inexperienced in both final products and skills I might be able to pick up a few things here.. Maybe even get.. dare I say it.. Better? My only pixel art has been additions and modifications to a 2D pixel art game, heh. I was going to post some of it but then I realised its not even presentable.. So I decided to start anew with a simple production.. A sword. Flat, not much to look at, but I need to learn metallic glaring and such. Oh, and I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely cannot stand isometric pixel art.. It ALL looks the same, theres no real flavor! Without further.. typing..

Its pretty bland.. As stated no blade glare, no background whatsoever, Im sure I also screwed up somewhere else.
Please leave some noniso pixel tutorials if you have any  8)

Fetus

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Re: Newb Wants to Learn

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:39:10 pm
Er, something wrong with the link I guess. Applepics isnt free anymore.. x.x

Couldnt find an edit button!

Fetus
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 02:40:45 pm by FatalFetus »

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 03:37:52 pm
Use Imageshack. Most of us do.
Anyways, most of us are seemingly harsh with the C+C, but really, we're trying to help people improve.

Anyways, I have to say it's pillow shaded, which is basically shading with a light source assumed to be in between the viewer and the object. In most cases, pillow shading is bad. Also, the red is fairly bright and neon, and it'd be nicer if it was a bit less saturated.

I would make an edit of it, but I'm out of time.  :-\

Anyways, keep trying. You'll get better with experience.  ;)

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 04:21:25 pm

I decided to switch from a nonnuetral type color, I couldn't really find "mediums" in red. I agree that it looked way brighter/neon than I intended, Does this look any better? I hadnt even noticed I pillow shaded, ew. The central ridge is supposed to pop out a little.

Fetus
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 04:28:44 pm by FatalFetus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 04:47:20 pm
Indeed, it is an improvement. You might want to add some highlights to the blade, y' know...to give it a nice shine. The crossguard looks far to straight...I dunno much about swords, but I think it'd look cooler if it had a slight upward curve, but that's just me.The actual handle looks like it'd be uncomforable to hold...maybe smooth it out a bit?

Anyway...

Oh, and I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely cannot stand isometric pixel art.. It ALL looks the same, theres no real flavor!
No need to generalize, FF. While I myself am not an Iso artist, and agree that most seems to be pretty generic, the few original and high-detail ones I have seen are mindblowing - deliciously mindblowing. I also think that the traditional Final Fantasy-type 2/3 overhead view does get kind of overused, so a nice Iso pic is refreshing every once in a while.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 04:52:03 pm
Okay, here is a little tutorial.

Here is a little sword, it's okay... I guess, but it's pillow shaded!

There, that looks better, but it's hard to make out all the colors.

There, thats looking much better, but theres still something missing...

Now that looks good, metal almost always has reflective light on it somewere.

The blue blade does look much better,
But the handle is still pillow shaded.

I hope this helps. And you could go to "Tools, Tuts and Linkage" in General Discussion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 04:58:50 pm by Kcilc »

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:07:56 pm
Reviewed version.. I see improvement

Made grip less rippled, reshaded entire length of blade + hilt + grip + pommel, added my crappily done "shine". Is there enough contrast from left to right thatyou can tell where the source of light is from? Thanks for the C & C and the mini tutorial, both appreciated.

Fetus

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 06:26:13 pm
Yes, I can tell where the light source is, but everything could still use more contrast,
And add more of your brightest color to the lighter side of the blade.

It's coming along very well though. :)

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 06:44:58 pm

Lightened EVERY pixel on the left, darkened [slightly] most 'standing' pixels on the right, added 'higher' crest to the central decoration on the hilt, Added second streak of lightest blue shading to the left side of the blade, added more light-shade grays to the left parts of the hilt/handle and pommel. I don't think I can get much more contrast out of this without screwing it up. Is the shine decent looking?

Fetus
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:43:33 pm by FatalFetus »

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 10:39:24 pm
Much much improvement.  ;D

Also, regarding your signature pic, the light sources are inconsistent for the sword and the letters.

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 10:41:58 pm
Yeah, I know.. I was just plannin on a completely flat pair of Fs but i accidently had the wrong shade of blue and figured it looked neat. I might get around to redoing it but it wasn't like a reviewed picture or anything  :P