AuthorTopic: 16bit Character Sprites  (Read 6036 times)

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Re: 16bit Character Sprites

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:23:17 pm
Thank you so much for the feedback Kiana!

Ok so regarding the toes, I saw that everything was lining up except for those little feet, so instead of changing outlines I simply changed the shading of the toes. I've also applied the same concept for the arms where I felt the shoulders were protruding abit? and re-shaded them. Another thing was how the arms in the front view felt like they weren't part of the body, so a friend of mine removed some of the outline and it looked much better. Concerning the back I've also re-shaded it abit and tried to fix the proportions by giving a shadow where the head and the body intersect and shortened the toes so the whole sprite would be shorter by one pixel. Right now the only thing that I feel that could use some fixing are the arms on both side views, they feel abit wonky? maybe smaller than the front and upper view? What do you think?

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:11:36 pm
I think what you've done to the arms and shoulders on the front view helped. Be mindful of the banding that's being caused now underneath the head and along the sides of the body where the darkest shadow meets the black lineart. It's causing a bit of blurriness/ambiguity. Easy fix - just reduce the shadow very slightly so the shadow isn't hugging the outline for the entirety of its length. Also consider broadening the single-pixel highlights on the pecs now that there's more room. The shading adjustment helped with the feet. No complaints there.

I'm not particularly concerned about the arm length at this point - it seems fine. If you want to nitpick with the arms you can consider trying to better show the bend of the arms in the front and back view, since arms at your side aren't generally vertically straight, but I worry it might be too drastic since the arms are going subtly between the pixels of the grid (the elbows are in a subpixel location, if you will).

This is subtle, but you may want to consider standardizing the location of the specular highlight on the head. Have you ever held and rotated a reflective ball or other spherical object? It stays in more or less the same place, unless the camera changes location. You can try it out if you own anything spherical or uniformly cylindrical (a soda can comes to mind if you don't have anything spherical). It seems counter-intuitive but the reason for it is that the location of the specular is being caused by the light source itself bouncing off a form toward your eye. So if your eye or the light source don't move, and the shape of the form is roughly the same, you'll get essentially the same specular reflection.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 08:21:33 pm
Tried to go with all of the pointers you gave Kiana, thank you again so much! Ive tried making the arm bend in the side ways at a different angle ish and make them appear larger to fit in. Hows that?

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:21 am
Looks good - nice job! Happy to help. Hope we'll be seeing more from you soon. :)
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 02:12:21 am
Thank you!

I thought Id give it one more go, this is the outcome and I think this is as best as I can make it look with this kind of scale and shape. Come to look at it I'am quite happy with the outcome.

Any thoughts? I am sure others can see it with a fresh eye and spot some mistakes or critiques.

This is it scaled 2x and this is how it should look like in game.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:40:05 pm by PiskelDot »

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 03:23:11 pm
I think I'll start animating the character within two days because I am having my finals. Iam certain if anything needs to be changed itll get noticed in the animation phase aswell. Still if anyone has any tip to shape the little fella in a better way Iam all ears. Ill post an update within two days, cheers!

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 11:49:29 pm
Ok so heres the recent animation I have done for the body sprites before minor modifications.

You'll notice that I haven't animated the body yet, just the legs as the first phase.

Animated Sprites:

Post Modification Sprites: (After Ive fixed the left and right body sprites *Doesn't include cleaning up the animation*)

You can see some pixels shifting? or appearing which means I still need to clean it up abit. I could use all the tips I could get, thank you!.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:28:11 am by PiskelDot »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 05:24:06 pm
The animation looks like it ping-pongs and the feet shuffle forward and backward, instead of cycling as in a walk. When moving forward, the foot should lift up and the foot should be angled differently. You don't really have room for a clear lift, but you can still angle the foot.  Moving forward, it should be led by the ankle, moving backward, it should be led by the heel.