AuthorTopic: 16bit Character Sprites  (Read 5962 times)

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

16bit Character Sprites

on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:00 pm
Hi folks!, I am working currently on a project with a friend of mine on a 16bit game, I have stopped making pixel art for a while and I have returned to it so I'am a'bit rusty, I could definitely use your experience in critiquing my work. Currently I am not so happy with the arms, but I could use a fresh eye to see what else might be wrong. Thanks in advance! (Note: The graphics will be zoomed in x2 to maintain the 16bit feeling, but offer a better game playing experience)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:40:34 pm by PiskelDot »

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Re: 16bit Character Sprites

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:30:50 pm
Worked out the arms for both left and right sprites and the down and up sprites temple.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:31:16 am by PiskelDot »

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:33 am
I think I'am happy with the shape of the character in the side and down views, my current concerns are how the arms are shaded and the back view I think isn't there yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to start working on animation shortly. Thank you

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:26 pm
Bump

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:40:16 pm
If I'am not getting feedback does that mean the piece looks good or usually the response takes abit longer?

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:31:43 pm
This forum can sometimes be a bit slow-moving, but to be honest, I don’t see any major glaring errors here. It looks good. Something minor that could be fixed is making the arms on the front and side view the same length. Right now, the side view has longer arms than the front view does. You can check if they line up by drawing a horizontal line from the bottom of the hand.

It may be easier to give additional feedback if we have more context about the game or even a mockup with the character in it. What kind of mood or tone are you going for (beyond “16-bit”)? What is the setting?
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 03:14:44 pm
Thank you for your feedback, Ok so this a shooters game lots of PvP going on, modern time. We haven't picked which year exactly, but there will be alot of 90s vibe from the looks of the tileset that I'll be working. I cant make a mock up right now since I am not finished with the basis of the tileset. Our characters will be zoomed in twice so its really important for me to have the character looking sharp as all of the details will show up. I tried stretching the arms with the down view abit, but I still have the side views having their arms one pixel longer. Some how the perspective is still maintained? Like I can some how imagine the arms being abit longer when the character rotates as a bigger part of the shoulder shows up and so the view on the arm kinda changes? Thank you so much for your help, pleas keep it coming!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:25:04 pm by PiskelDot »

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:17:33 pm
Ive tried to give it a couple more edits and adjust the arm size.

My only problem here is that I have this feeling that the side views look abit smaller compared to the top and bottom views

Offline PiskelDot

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 11:14:38 pm
Even though the top one suffices Kianas critique regarding the hands, it some how doesn't make me content about the proportions and some how the hands being one pixel longer makes it abit more coherent? I have no clue why.

This one has the new back sprite Ive made and a couple more tweaks with the arm shades along with the side view arms being shortened just one pixel down from the original, but still being longer than the up and down sprite views.

I could realllly use one last critique before I start working on the animation sprites as it'll be too late for me to touch it up again or edit it.

Thank you so much in advanced, always loved this community so thank you for all the help.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:09:57 pm by PiskelDot »

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:40 am
Nice changes. I appreciate that you simplified some of the shading. The forms are still being defined but it’s easier to look at.

I think it may be that having the arms be one pixel longer in the side view matches up better in terms of relative proportions. The average human’s fingers reach to around halfway down the thigh when their arms are straight. You may want to lengthen the body and upper arms on the front view, as well as lower back and arms on the back view by one pixel height to remedy this. It will have the additional benefit of helping the positioning of the feet be consistent with the side view. If you look at where the toes of the front view are currently, compared to where they are in the side view, they’re higher up. It might be a bit more obvious if you put them in the same spot on different frames (as in an animation) and flip between them. Watch closely for any “shifting” of features.

Cool concept, by the way. I’d say start animating if you’re confident about the sprites or sit on it for a few days if you feel like something might be bothering you. Smart move to make sure you’re happy with it before making it more work to fix stuff.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.