AuthorTopic: Grass tileset help  (Read 1959 times)

Offline AsinineMortal

• View Profile

Grass tileset help

on: May 15, 2019, 07:23:45 pm
Ok! so! first post here we go, i am currently working on a grass tileset and would like some feedback on what i could do to improve and what i could do better, i plan on adding more grass variation and other things that the grass can cluster around but i dont plan on having full textured fields of grass just patches of grass around edges and rocks and trees etc with the solid green in between. maybe? i dont know im still playing around with the idea lol let me know what you guys think :D

(also im not sure if i have posted the image properly so sorry in advance :s)

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Re: Grass tileset help

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:52 am
I like the shapes of your grass leaves!

I'm pretty new to this myself, but I'd say you probably want to increase the dynamic range of the palette. Get some brighter greens in there, and some darker greens. Same for the stone.

With some darker greens you can start to place shadows under the leaves. This will make them pop out and look more 3D. With a brighter green you can add some points of highlight to emphasize the angle of the light source and give the leaves more substance.

I have a couple of questions:

- What angle are we looking at this from? Directly above? At a 45 degree angle to the ground in the traditional RPG style?

- Where's the light coming from?

Also, do you want to talk about the stone tile?

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:38:03 pm
Here's a first go (5 min job) at some shadows. Assuming the light source is top left:

I've put longer shadows to the right of the leaves to help give the light source a position. I also added a highlight green which I placed on the top left of leaves.

I would be tempted to avoid big expanses of the same color, it looks plain. I experimented with some two-pixel blades of grass that can be placed around the place to add texture.

I still think the palette needs more more dynamic range, it still looks a bit washed out and hard to see.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:11:24 pm by daramon »

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:41:12 pm
As an aside I found that giving the shadows an angle, but making that angle different to the angle of the grass, helped "lift" the leaves from the surface.