AuthorTopic: The thread previously known as "Just look..." Idle anim finished - 2/6/07  (Read 10817 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Ok, so I've decided to make as many animations of this guy as possible and maybe put him in a game, then make some enemies and get someone else to tile. But I bet you $100,000 I'll get bored before I finish the walk cycle so don't hold me to any of that.

[obsolete][/obsolete]

Idle=Done

Next up: Walk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:49:27 am by Xion Night »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile
Pretty good so far. But the idle animation looks freakish in that just there's no other movement like th shouders or head when he's idling/breathing. :[

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile
I Agree the idle animation looks strange, looks more like his bouncing his pecks, like some wrestlers tend to do. Also the lighting is boucing up and down which makes it look very weird. Anybody breathing that heavy will have distinct movement in the whole upper body.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile
Is his neck too long? Also, I can't figure out the lighting. Hope your game has ninjas+pirates+robots+zombies since you already have
pirates and robots worked  in so far.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
Is his neck too long? Also, I can't figure out the lighting. Hope your game has ninjas+pirates+robots+zombies since you already have
pirates and robots worked  in so far.

NinjaPirateZOmbieRobots even? :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Yeah, like I said, the idle was quickly thrown together. I didn't move the head 'cause a pixel movement is way too much, and I'd've had to add another color to get it to smoothly subpixel shift. I'm trying to stay at 16 or less. I'm wondering if he even needs an idle animation or if he should just stay perfectly still and shift his weight every so often...?
Oh and I'll check out the neck length.

But does anyone have any comments on the metal? How to make it look better?

@ sharprm & Malor: lol. That's actually not a bad idea. Robot pirates vs. Zombie ninjas. Genius! :lol:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

some timing helps this animation

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile
the problem with your idling is that the movement is fast and not really accomplishing anything.

basically the idle is him breathing, right? well show the movement. i quickly made an edit but you could take it a lot further.

edit: helm's timing corrected the problem a bit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 07:23:22 pm by alkaline »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Yeah, wow, that fixes alot, Helm. I actually completely forgot about timing. :-[ Thanks.
Alkaline: What do you mean "Show the movement?" You made an edit? I'd like to see it please. :) Any help helps.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile
whoops

illustrate movement better. i didn't do everything but you get the idea.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Update:

Ok, thanks alot guys. I still don't think the timing is quite right but he doesn't look like such a rabbit anymore.
I also changed the metal parts. I think it looks alot better.
I also gave him another finger and some eyes that weren't eeriliy devoid of life.
Keep 'em coming, people!

C&C!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
The annoying thing with breathing anims is that i find i always animate them 10x faster than a normal person breathes. Try breathing like the most recent anim, and it's pretty weird. Although of course, it depends how idle he is. But if he'd just been running a mile, he'd probs be on his hands and knees (or at least i would, lol). Basically, i think you should hold a bit longer between breaths, and i find it's quicker to breathe in than breathe out. The problem here is leaving the static frame on hold, which can make the anim look jerky, so then it's up to uber sub-pix anims.

Btw, cool sprite! And the anim so far is very smooth.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile
the timing is nearly there.  :y: oh and by the way, i think the strap on the stomach should go the other way like in my edit - since you breathe in? unless it depends on how you are breathing or something

i can't tell which way or the other works now actually..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:11:41 am by alkaline »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Well, since your lungs expand when you inhale, I'd expect that to be the reason the stomach goes out and the chest expands.

Yup. I just inhaled. It would be unnatural for a belly to collapse when more air filled it.

Exhaling, chest falls and stomach implodes.

Yes, implodes.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile
i'm pretty sure in heavy breathing more your ribcage would be expanding outward - but i guess he isn't doing heavy breathing, so you win.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I still don't like the stillness of the head.
Any suggestions?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Yes. move the head half a pixel up towards strain frame should do it. You seem to have subpixelling business down, so what's stopping you?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Ok, so is the Idle anim done? Can I move on to the dreaded walk cycle? (which I'm sure I'll need tons of help on)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile
Yes, walk cycle please.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Yes, this is excellent, looking forward to walk animation.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio
For some reason it looks like the top of his head is expanding like a balloon.
So it looks like all the air is going to his head.
I think you gotta do move the face with the rest of his head.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile
I agree with Souly. Why is his bandanna moving, but not his eyes? Also, his left(our right) wrist or forearm is seemingly pulsating for some reason, but the outline for his elbow shows no movement. I guess he's flexing. Looking good so far, though. I'll be back for the run/walk animation.
my back hurts...

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile
Yeah head making funny... Weird, the light also changes. Anyway brilliant chest and stomach movement!