AuthorTopic: -~Castle Of The Dying Moon~-  (Read 6483 times)

Offline That One Guy

• Project Faust Head Designer
    • View Profile

-~Castle Of The Dying Moon~-

on: February 03, 2007, 12:14:06 am
Alright. Sure, I don't have much of this game's graphics done, because I'm lacking in the ideas department. Stwelin agreed to help me with the tiles, but I'll be doing everything else myself, aside from coding and music.

Here's where you guys come in. If you have any interesting ideas for an enemy, or a weapon, please give me your suggestions! Just remember, the style is very simplistic, so don't expect any of the things Helm makes his whore on a daily basis. (Haha ;D)

Edit
Actually, I think I'll post my first enemy set so far.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:15:41 am by That One Guy »
--Project Faust
Current Game

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Re: -~Castle Of The Dying Moon~-

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:10 am
I forgot term for it but those little black dots on the outside make it look weird.I would say to make it more like the color that is most in that piece.But other than that it looks great!I especially like the dude in the cape and mask in the middle..isn't he on spirited away?Anyway good job!
-CK-

Offline That One Guy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:40:33 am
I forgot term for it but those little black dots on the outside make it look weird.I would say to make it more like the color that is most in that piece.But other than that it looks great!I especially like the dude in the cape and mask in the middle..isn't he on spirited away?Anyway good job!
-CK-
Yeah, he was from Spirited Away, I just put him there because someone asked me to sprite him :3

I may end up redoing some of these just so they look better. This was just a style I came up with on my own time, and it kinda stuck with everyone else, so I thought it could be the main style of the game. I think the term you was thinking of was "Selective Outlining"
--Project Faust
Current Game

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:43:12 am
Gweehehehehehehehe....... >:]

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:44:00 am
-CK-

You're referring to selout.

Anyway, yeah, these look pretty neat, but i've already seen em. :P

Great job overall. I really like the palette. Cool retro gaming feel.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:36 am
You left in some of MSpaint's default colors. :-X

Anyways, I'm gonna be blunt- the selout looks terrible. On such small sprites you're probably best off not having an outline.

I made a little edit of the reaper fellow: Mostly just showing a different approach. Of course, your flatshaded style got lost in the progress. But, yeah, just 'cause your sprites are cartoony doesn't mean they shouldn't have shadows or highlights. And the reaper light grey on the reaper is pretty redundant (you can hardly see it, you could have just use the blue on the scythe...)

Yeah, I dunno how to end this post, so... uhh...

Offline That One Guy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 01:10:18 am
Gweehehehehehehehe....... >:]
Eep.

What was the maniacal laughter for O_o

You left in some of MSpaint's default colors. :-X

Anyways, I'm gonna be blunt- the selout looks terrible. On such small sprites you're probably best off not having an outline.

I made a little edit of the reaper fellow: Mostly just showing a different approach. Of course, your flatshaded style got lost in the progress. But, yeah, just 'cause your sprites are cartoony doesn't mean they shouldn't have shadows or highlights. And the reaper light grey on the reaper is pretty redundant (you can hardly see it, you could have just use the blue on the scythe...)

Yeah, I dunno how to end this post, so... uhh...
While I respect your edit, I don't think the style's gonna change at all. And yeah, I did a crap job, I agree. It looks better on a different background.
--Project Faust
Current Game

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:17:44 am
This is why selout is wrong. Looks as if you just scaled stuff down.

Offline That One Guy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 02:28:11 am
This is why selout is wrong. Looks as if you just scaled stuff down.
Eh. I know it's wrong by technique now. I'll just do something different from now on. Learning from mistakes, etc.
--Project Faust
Current Game

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:49 am
These are infinitely more readable and less broken looking with a complete outline:

At the very least do coloured outlines or something.  This attempt at selective outlining just looks broken.
What's funny is that when I had to zoom in on them to do the outlines read even worse.  Designs are perfectly solid though.  Any chance you'll post the animations as animations?

Ah, responded while I was typing!  Well, something like this then?