AuthorTopic: [WIP]Butterfly  (Read 3737 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

[WIP]Butterfly

on: February 02, 2007, 07:55:02 pm
Here's a butterfly image I've been working on. Any crits would be so very welcome as I have yet to find a shading "style" that would go well enough with my lineart and it's driving me nuts. So I just experimented a little and decided it was crap.  :'(

cryssy

Re: [WIP]Butterfly

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:21:29 pm
Ok your lineart is pretty solid, boring but solid. It can be made to be better but your colors >< :wah: Contrast them more PLEASE
I can make some lineart edits later once I am off work but I think all you really need are more colors, more contrast, and more details

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:55:00 am
I can make some lineart edits later once I am off work but I think all you really need are more colors, more contrast, and more details

More colors? He almost overloaded the main color of the butterfly. o_o;

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:09:26 am

More colors? He almost overloaded the main color of the butterfly. o_o;

I think she meant hues, as butterflies are usually very colourful. This looks like a moth to me, especially with the thick body, wings n' all.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 03:16:43 am
@ Larwick. Well, I was going for something much brighter but I believe the name of the animal I was trying to draw is "Common Brown Butterfly" could've been moth.

@ Chrissy. Thank you for the comment on my lineart. There's actually more lines to the lineart. But I thought I would just do it as I go along. :]

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:32:51 am
Believe it or not, I was pixelling a butterfly just last night...scrapped it, but that's another story.

Firstly, here's a reference.  You can find way more by googling butterfly.

I'd like to point out that the body on your's is much too big compared to the wings, and that also, the bottom pair of wings go out to far horizontally.

You should also take a look at your colors.  There is absolutely no reason you should be using 8 shades of a color when 2 (the brightest and darkest) can be used just as effectively with the use of dithering.

Lastly, I feel you should pick a light source.  It's allready obvious that pillow shading is emerging.  Just try pretending there is a really strong, focused light in one of the corners of the picture, and base your shading and highlighting on that.

I really want to see this turn out, so you better keep pixelling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 05:23:46 pm
Thanks for the reference. And yes I will keep working on it...It's just I'm so terrible with shading. :(