AuthorTopic: Kitten Champion [WIP]  (Read 22495 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Kitten Champion [WIP]

Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 02:50:36 pm
no. man. Who wants to see me pretend-swordwield an old pool cue in my underwear.
Souly :D

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 02:56:26 pm
no. man. Who wants to see me pretend-swordwield an old pool cue in my underwear.
Souly :D
Obviously.

Anyways, enough idle chit chat and more pixeling.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 04:05:25 pm
And a comment by the way, his left (our view) knee looks like there's some sticking out square. Like a piece of metal or something.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 05:04:04 pm
This is awesome, the background reminds me of those old 3d vector racing games.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 06:11:25 pm
It's interesting to see a piece made step by step on the forums.

Some quick crits to contribute:

The angle of the sword is a bit hard to read. The way the hilt's rendered makes me think the sheath is held parallel to the left leg. However, the angle of the hands makes me think that he's holding the sheath in a way that it falls behind him. Grrr...too hard to explain, so I did a super quick sketch.

I did the one on the left to show the tilt on the sword (I think it gives it more depth), but it breaks the flow of line you have from the right shoulder to the elbow. The right sketch tries to justify a tilt on the sword without pushing the right arm out.

The angle on the chest bothers me a bit. It seems like his whole torso would be turned to the side a little (it's fairly frontal as is). With the position of the rightmost arm, the pec on that side would be pushed to the left while the leftmost pec would be pulled tight across the chest because the left shoulder is behind him. Also, the 3 evenly placed striations on the pecs seem a bit odd.

You've done enough fiddly pixel-work that it seems too late to make any major changes, so maybe these crits are irrelevant.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:14:11 pm by big brother »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 06:27:05 pm
It's interesting to see a piece made step by step on the forums.

It was a conscious experiment because as of late I don't ask for critique mid-progress, I just post semi-finished stuff and people give me nitpicks. I felt that I am not above critique pixel-wise so I thought the best way to be helped by this place would be to not post semi-done stuff, but ask for help from the go. This led to the very very useful - though tiring - pose change pkmays suggested, as well as to a host of more minor but good crits. This place still works for me and I should ask for critique more.

I intend to pull the left (ours) arm down at the shoulder, naturally lowering that peck as well a few pixels. I will change the even segmentations of it while I'm at it.

Also a ten-four on the katana sheath. Will be reworked soon enough.

Thanks for the critique.

EDIT:

most changes made. Is the sheath good this time, so I can start AAing it?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:49:25 pm by Helm »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 07:43:42 pm
Palm and thumb are unreadable left hand. Highlight and shadow on right hand pointer finger are HARSH.

right nipple too low, too far to the left.

Shoes are bland, compaired to jeans/skin. Specs are coming from left, all other specs are from top.

Post too blurry.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 10:44:29 pm
Hahahahahaha, I love his facial expression... even if he is a cat-loving dog-murderer.

Having said that, I do have some thoughts. Here, sitting at my computer, I can jab my elbow into my hip, and place my arm along my thigh to see how far along it extends. For me, my fingertips extend a little beyond my knee. For the cat-killer, it looks as if even his fingers wouldn't reach his kneecap. I'm not sure if that's because his forearm is too short or his thigh too long, but in either case something is wrong.

The only time I'd be able to stay upright in that position would be if I were springing up for a jump. That being said, I think it suits him, despite it seeming impossible.

Final note: I have no idea if it's supposed to line up, but if you were to draw a red line across the top of both shoulders, and one across the bottom of both pecs, you'd see that they don't line up at all. Just for kicks, put a nice blue line across both nipples and get a brand new line.

That's enough talking out my ass for one day, hopefully I said something valid.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 11:44:48 pm

Tried to adress most points. I like the shoes though.

Willows, the things are overlong, but hopefully not to a jarring degree. Intentional.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 12:07:53 am
Looking good so far.

My only issue with it is how gray the sword is now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:09:43 am by Souly »