AuthorTopic: New technical zine - hoping to make a pixel art / retro section  (Read 7225 times)

Offline gynvael

• View Profile
Hey folks,

I'm making a new free experimental technical "from community for community" magazine, and well, we're looking for authors.
The first issue is going to be out in ~2 months, and I (due to my personal preferences, I don't deny) would love to read a couple of articles about drawing pixel art in various styles / for various platforms. I imagine there are a lot of interesting technical details unknown to most when preparing pixel art (especially for older 8-bit platforms).
But I can't really write them as I have approximately zero skills and knowledge in this area (I have an account on this forum mainly because I hired an artist or two from here), which leads me back to the original point about looking for authors :).

Anyway, all the details about the zine, the concept, etc can be found at https://pagedout.institute/, but I'll mention a few main points:
  • It's a free zine, so we're not able to pay for articles :(. I hope this will change some day in the future and we get the zine to be self sustaining, but for now these are just dreams and plans (see the licencing options / FAQ for details).
  • Since this really is an experimental zine, it has a pretty specific format: each article is limited to exactly 1 page, but the author has (almost) full control of the layout.
  • Actually if someone wants to showcase their art and write a couple of words about it that might work as an article as well. There is a thin line here between an "advertisement" and an "article", so it would have to be well executed, but well, it still might be an option.
If you have any questions let me know :)

Thanks,

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
Best of luck man. tho I don't know how the business model is going to pan out to what is already a pretty big project.
This already on the demoscene sites like pouet.net or down the line? They would dig this.

Offline gynvael

• View Profile
Thanks! I'm not worried about the business model - it's a secondary/long term objective anyway.
And I agree it's a pretty big project, though thankfully I have some experience with things like that so I'm pretty hopeful :)

For some reason I didn't think of pouet.net (though it should have been pretty obvious) - thank you! Really good suggestion!

Offline Younce

• View Profile
Good luck! I hope the zine will be successful. I'll certainly look to support it.