Re: CIN

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 03:35:47 am

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:53:43 am
Those look like pretty clean vectors from back in the day (talking 30+ years there)
But as pure pixel art it's a no-go. What techniques could you use there? Dithering, AA? Even if we did that you can't see the pixels at this rez. Where is all that real estate going?

I get that there is no [C+C] tag on this but if you want to push your skill in this arena you'll look into other styles that really milk pixels. If you want to stick with this style, I get that too but you're missing out on a lot of that technique there. A lot of that is the high resolution.

Either way there are some pretty good resources for those techniques. You see a lot of them point to lower rez. Bigass list, thanks Sam.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:10:45 am by pistachio »

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:51:07 am

I don't understand very well your reply, but I think it's constructive. I am a traditional painter, digital painter, digital artist, composition artist, with two computer animation feature films in the back and an Oscar nomination, I know very well what's a digital image, and this is pixel art, done with the line tool, the pencil tool and the paint bucket, at an original resolution of 800x450 pixel, scaled with nearest neighbor algorithm to a 2 factor multiple to respect the purity of the art, in 24 bit color (It could be done in 4 bit).

I understand that a rubbish .jpg melt all and has not the purity of a .png file, next time I will put a .png, it's a fail on my side.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:33:20 pm
I think what they might've meant was that this art is so big and low on detail that there's nothing interesting you can do here with pixel technique without making it a very different image.

The wall right now is a scribbly mess that's out of place with the very clean lineart. Perhaps some polish there would help? Higher contrast would help too, right now the shadow may as well be a single flat colour, it's so low-contrast. Instead of scribbling, convey the texture of the wall. That's where pixel technique will come into play, as well.
Also, if the wall has enough texture to show, then it likely has enough texture to affect the edges of the shadows.

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:03:17 pm
Thanks eishiya, the point is that I don't think pixel art might fit a specific look, a "closed" look, I think it's "pixel" that is an almost manual technique without interpolation, automatic algorithms, or so, and "art" and art is free and wide, I have this particular technique and I love it, why it's "less" pixel art than other? I admire the work of gutty, waneella, pilotedsun and more (I Pledge them in Patreon), and they do each one his own style...  I started to do pixel art in an Amstrad PC1512 with Deluxe Paint back in 1987, yes, the past century...  :lol: :lol: :lol: and I always have considered pixel art is free.

Other thing is to work for a game for example, then there are rules, but for art? I think there is no rules to follow.

The image in png

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 05:16:47 pm
I didn't say it was "less", I personally don't think it is :D The Pixel Art section has a big focus on pixel art technique though, so that's the thing people tend to bring up here, and your image isn't very interesting technique-wise.

That said, this image is not very interesting to look at in general, as there's not much going on in terms of composition or storytelling. Because of that and the lack of any stated goal with the image, there's very little meaningful feedback people can give. What do you want feedback on, what are you trying to achieve?

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:18 pm
Well, I don't try to get anything, just I think I am doing pixel art works (fool of me), and wanted to join a community, just that, to not feel alone, but if all of you are pixel art "puritans", yes, I don't do nothing here.

I think you are the administrator eishiya so delete my posts in this SMF.

It has been a pleasure to talk with you.  :)

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:11:53 pm
I'm not an admin or mod, and I'm honestly confused by your post. There's no puritanism going on. Your art is absolutely welcome on Pixelation, I just wanted to explain why someone might've mentioned pixel technique.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:13:24 pm by eishiya »

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 08:37:33 pm
Perhaps it's my bad english, I have understood that you (In general, not only you) were telling me this works was not strictly "pixel art" but line art, etc. I don't know if my works fits here, if this forum is for other kind of user, just tell me, I am not angry  :) only confused.

Thanks for your reply eishiya, you are very kind.