AuthorTopic: wow is me for i have tiled..... and now made a fadavtar! w00t  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: wow is me for i have tiled

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:17:11 pm
It's looking much better.  I still think the grass is too busy though.  I think all you need to do to fix it is to tone down the contrast.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Re: wow is me for i have tiled..... and now made a fadavtar! w00t

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 11:17:14 pm
UPDATE!!!

toned down the grass ever so slightly... guessing i should do some more now i look at it?... I am yet to edit the tree still... i have added in slanted grass tiles and a rock... also i created myself a fadavtar!... gimme comments on both i dont see the need to open up a new thread for the fadav.

thanks.
Artisan
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 01:16:02 am
It looks better, but yeah, I still don't like the tree... the way it is round with those dark, hole-ish parts it looks kinda like a rotting apple to me.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:40 pm
What are the pillars?  They're a little too geometrical to be rocks.  The grass looks better, but it's not quite what I was thinking of.  I'll do an edit when I get the chance.

The fad avatar looks great.  I expected the glasses to be a little more shaded on top, since they're under the hair, so the ended up looking a bit bright.  Not sure what I think of the blue green version.  It doesn't feel as cohesive as the orange.

Edit:  As promised, here's the edit.  I toned down the hue shifting a bit on the grass.  Hue shifting is nice, but it made the grass stand out.  You need it to be grass, not call attention to itself.  I also did a very quick, dirty, and overly symetrical edit to your tree to show a way you could add dimention to it and get rid of those splotches.  Leaves tend to grow in clumps so sometimes it helps to start with a bunch of random sphere shapes and shade based from that.  Also, because of the way a tree grows, it tends to have more leaves at the bottom.  Hope this helps.  If I haven't said it before, I love the texture of grass and dirt, very well done.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:03:21 am by Sharm »

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 12:11:01 am
thanks for the edit, much apreciated.... i tried a more realistic tree dont think it worked very well :( any ideas for improvement anyone??...

also toned down the hue shifting on the grass.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:54 am
Take a look at how the leaves are rendered here:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/squenix/mana/sd3/rabiteforest2.png
Another possible method:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/10466.htm

Also, be sure to darken your darkest leaf shade considerably.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 04:14:15 pm
mmm I am not to fond of the shape of the top of your tree. It is very ireegular, and doesn't scream tree to me, it reminds me of a green blob. I actually preferred your origional tree, but I suppose thats jsut a tile-style preference..Sweet glasses btw  :lol:
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:03 pm
I made this a week ago and thought i had posted it, but it turns out i hadn't

Basically, you are treating the tree as though all it's branches are a single entity.  they aren't.  every branch is a separate peice which has a zone of leaves that can be penetrated, but they interesct with each other - they do not combine.  Right now your tree looks like a misshapen styrofoam ball in the earier ones, and gets worse in the update.

heres an extremely quick example where all the branches are treated as separated.  it's very rough, and not quite the same kind of tree, but i hope it gives you a better idea of how you can do the leaves.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:33:17 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 10:43:30 pm
thanks muchos for the edit adar's :D... think this is better

been a while since i updated but been busy on web jobs and course stuff. aaanyways... here is where the tree currently stands...

CnC etc?

much love,
artisan