AuthorTopic: What should I read first?  (Read 5671 times)

mikegladsz

What should I read first?

on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:02 am
Hi everyone, I just joined on this forum this week.

Forgive me for being so lazy, but I just thought I'd ask if you could show me any notable threads that I should take a look at first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks in advance, Michael

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: What should I read first?

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:31 am
Welcome to pixelation.
Ideally the first thing you should be checking is this (The forum's general rules).
Then you could go to The introductions thread (and check about other users and perhaps introduce yourself), and The tuts, tools and linkage thread (for resources, info etc etc about pixel art).
From there I guess you could explore by yourself, but that will keep you entertained for a couple of minutes.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:54:56 am
I think this guy is actually some computer generated noob because he doesn't actually refer to anything specific
about the forums he posts in:

http://vista.powerblogs.com/posts/1145729210.shtml

Hi everyone, I just joined on this forum this week.

Apologies for my laziness, but I was hoping you could show me any particularly relevant threads that I should have a read of first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks! Mike

http://www.destination360.com/forum/brazil/165-train-bus-iguassu.html

Hi everyone, I just signed up on this forum this week.

I'm sorry for asking, but I wanted to ask if anyone could show me any particularly important posts that I should take a look at first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks in advance, Michael

http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=273093

Hi! I just joined on this forum this week.

Soz for my laziness, but I was wondering if someone could point me to any particularly relevant posts that I should check out first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks very much! Michael

edit: If you google: particularly "so i can get involved here" There will be about three pages of these kinds of posts so definately a bot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:56:14 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:33 am
Heh, ah well.
I'll let it be for a while, and lock it later if it happens to be a bot of some sorts.

But taking advantage of this, just out of curiosity, when you signed up to pixelation, what kind threads were you looking for at first?
Anything you found helpful in particular?

I guess if we manage to do something about it, pixelation could become a more user friendly forum or something.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 04:08:33 pm
I don't suppose a Pixelation's Greatest Hits sticky thread would be a terrible idea, although the news banner could fit that criteria to an extent.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:04:29 am
I remember way back when I joined the original Pixelation, some of the first few threads I read were rants from.... :-\ either Diced or St0ven....can't remember...but I remember it saying something to the effect of "the end of pixelation is near".....guess they were wrong.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:52:49 am
I remember way back when I joined the original Pixelation, some of the first few threads I read were rants from.... :-\ either Diced or St0ven....can't remember...but I remember it saying something to the effect of "the end of pixelation is near".....guess they were wrong.
Hahahaha...definitively not Steve...he didnt say that kind of stuff. Must have been Diced...sounds like something I'd say too :p

doesnt the feature chest kinda already fullfill the function you guys are proposing ?

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:26:57 am
But taking advantage of this, just out of curiosity, when you signed up to pixelation, what kind threads were you looking for at first?
Anything you found helpful in particular?

Isn't he a bot ?
It's easier to spot them on french forums for they are the only one to type in english xD

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 09:42:56 am
first bot Ive seen asking for links o.O
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 10:07:00 am
internet is a strange place  :huh:
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:43:05 pm
Rydin: yeah, it was probably Diced; he did that occasionally.

I don't really remember what I read first, but the threads I first posted in were the challenges (tesselation, multiple light sources, and flying animation).  Man, those pictures sucked XD

I think that if I were new here, the rules thread would be the first thing to read, followed by the Tools, Tuts, and Linkage thread.  Then whatever, I guess.  I read everything, so there's not really much prioritizing direction I can give to newbies.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 05:49:55 pm
The first thing i read was the KOS thread. I think collabs and competitions would be looked at alot by new guys, because it helps you understand the community and there's lots of different pieces to look at. I think i read the rules a few weeks after joining, heheh, but they weren't so obvious then.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 05:59:12 pm
Regarding the rules, I joined when the membership quiz was still in effect, so I knew what the rules were (despite the fact that, for the morally balanced and responsible of us, they are common sense) from when I first joined.  Speaking of the quiz, is it possible to have registration set up so that it either has a short rules quiz or at the very least, links you directly to the rules forum/thread when you register?  Seems to me that would help cut down on people not knowing the rules.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.