AuthorTopic: [WIP] Grafics for a platformer-rpg  (Read 21366 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Grafics for a platformer-rpg

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 03:25:35 pm
thanks joshua

quick edit on the lightrays. moved them on the other side to make the lightsource on the tree more realistic (badmrbox's critism). I will now try to make the characters pose more intresting which will be very hard to me since I already tried to make a more intresting character but ended up with a redicolous looking dwarf :D

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 04:15:18 pm
something more like this:

just a quick transparency overlay in photoshop, but u get the idea.  it could even be done with the coding i guess.

Offline largemann

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:43 am
Hm, I actually quite like the character's pose/style. I don't think he needs changing, I think he fits his environment perfectly.
It is, after all, just an idle pose...

I'd really like to see a running animation for him though  :)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 09:25:29 pm
I dont think im gonna use alpha if I dont really needed (no problem coding wise, im using 8bit alpha maps anyways), so I will try to integrate such an effect like you showed it in the background. hopefully Ill get an idea of how to do a good bg with such a limited ramp :(

btw: this is my try at a spaceship with which the character landed on the strange planet on which he is waiting for the bus now ;)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 10:39:50 pm
That spaceship looks great. Only crit is on the bottom to far right the green glow doesn't make sense as there is no grash to cause the
reflection there. Maybe more dirt to suggest a violent crash?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 07:07:11 pm

for largemann ;)
I suck at animation and this was my very first try at a wallkcycle so it was surprising that it didn't look totally ridiculous, although I still know that this walkcycle is not very good. I've got to add arm moving and fix a few minor problems with a few frames. If someone could tell me why to up/down movement is looking so unnatural I would be very thankfull

Yes I've got to fix the glow (made it when I didnt add so much earth/dirt lying around). Do you think the dirt at the front of the ship looks okay?

...I slowly get the feeling I shouldn't keep this thread alive over such a time, oh well..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 07:36:30 pm
not bad, better than my first walk cycle :P  i think his knees are too low though, and i'd widen the stride up some - with your level/screen size it will take a million years to go anywhere at that pace !

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 09:19:40 pm
if you want my opinion, the character is to small for the screen.  it will take him like three minutes to get from the tree to the end of the screen lol.  i think you could pretty much go three ways with this.

1- make it a run cycle.  make him run a bit quicker.

2- make him take much bitter strides, almost a jog, but not quite.

3- simply speed it up.

oh and BTW, his arms need to be moving/swinging.

theres my critique  :P
untz untz untz?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 11:36:40 pm
I like the number of frames youre using becuase it seems very smooth animation. I really liked "flashback" and "out of this world", hope
you make the movement system and animations similar. I was thinking the way that the grass runs it might be better to have the light
streaming down from the left so its parallel with the grass. Could you just flip the tree horizotally to make consistent with light source.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 04:16:19 pm
So time has come to resurrect this long forgotten thread :D
I haven't continued working on the walkcycle since working with imageready is such a pain.
Instead I tried to make a new background. My first try was:

Which imho wasnt usable at all as a platformer bg and also wasnt fitting the mood I had in mind for this scene.
So I tried again with a different concept:

(the dark parts might not be easily visible under certain light conditions)
I've removed the tree since it doesn't fit the light in the second background (the scene with the tree will get it's own bg).
Any c&c on the new background? Are the leaf-sillouettes to repetitative? If so what could I change?

(original inspiration came from http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3019.0