AuthorTopic: Pineapple - Sketchbook  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Pineapple - Sketchbook

on: April 13, 2019, 10:03:56 am
Hey guys. I've seen this site a few years ago, have been a lurker for a while, and decided to start trying to get better every day instead of wishing...

Hopefully I don't break any rules by posting every day a new work here. My goal is to make work that feels as good as Octopath Traveler... really love that game and aesthetic.

This is tonight's work. Are the shapes clean? Does it read? It's supposed to be Nami from League of Legends.

Thank you guys <3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:10:11 am by Pineapple »

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Re: Pineapple - Sketchbook

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:57:39 pm
Day 2

Trying to get better at hair with highlights showing flow. Any thoughts on how to improve let me know!

edit: added a more front view and back view

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:27:49 am by Pineapple »

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:46:31 am
Day 3

copy of a final fantasy character by eye. Trying to get use to matching colors, and starting to understand layout of pixels.

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:37 am
Day 4

trying to make a rock, playing with colors, trying to get nice rocky shapes. Any suggestions or tutorials welcome. Thanks for taking a look

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:34:27 am
Day 5

Pokemon styled creature. Playing with expressions on small # pixels to see how little is needed to still show facial expression. I feel like it's kind of messy, but quite sure how to address hmmm

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:58:54 am by Pineapple »

Offline Pineapple

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:45:24 pm
Day 6

following along with Nauris (https://twitter.com/namatnieks?lang=en) on his stream, similar environment to his, did this :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:07:30 pm by Pineapple »

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 06:34:49 am
Hello, welcome to pixelation!
I think nobody has answered you yet because your pieces are already quite good with no huge apparent flaws. So congrats on that, your art is already readable, nice to look at  with good use of colors!

If I may, the small character with the long hair feels a bit confused, try maybe to simplify the hair texture to get a more "united" feel, less pure texture, more volumes.

On your last green landscape, the clouds that constitute the background lack a sense of direction. You could draw the curve which they're supposed to follow and then on another layer shape the actual clouds and give them a cleaner finish.

On your Pokémon-like creature, the shadows feel muddy. Picking a color that's a bit darker and more saturated will improve your piece overall. You could also play with hue shifting to make it more interesting (this PJ thread is very enlightening http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10695
Also a good way to improve would be to participate to some challenges; pixeljoint.com holds a different pixel art challenge each week :)

Half a noob figuring out stuff.