AuthorTopic: Sparkly brain stuff  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Sparkly brain stuff

Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:53:56 pm
Small update. Tried to add some depth to the earth-chunk, added some more stones, tweaked some other stuff.

Doppleganger: I hope there aren't too many people rallying against low-saturation purple shadows 'cause if there are, I'm pretty well boned. Whatever... if things go too far, I can just keep using both, get all pretentious and snobby, and look down on others for being conformists. :)
I tried, like I said, to add some depth to the earth. Better, I think, than it was, but probably still far from great. I meant to ask you: what would you recommend for the shrubs? Any particular problems there, or just a general lack of glamour?

Ragnarok: Something, maybe, but I dunno how well a glowy rune'd fit in. Might draw more attetion to the bottom than I'd like. :P I'm open to edits and stuff though, if you think it'd work.

Soup: Much appreciated. ;D

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 12:45:53 am
Now you're getting somewhere! I very much so enjoy the depth, I think that helped alot. Especially with the cracks in the rock. The dark solid lines you originally had gave it a pasted on sort of feel. As far as the shrubs go, it looks to me as if they aren't really taking into consideration the rest of the lightsource. (maybe) In addition, they lack the detail the rest of the piece has. I'm going to do a quick edit on the shrubs, maybe the rocks. I'm having a hard time conveying what I mean...so stay tuned.

Okay, I kind of got carried away with my edit...I always do though.

The shrub on the left, I completely redid, with more of a leafy texture rather than bunches of circles. Whether or not it came out that great is another thing. The main point with that is to show a better way to handle leaves. I probably deviated from the original idea a little too much, and got a little too carried away with the shape of the leaves that I forgot to address the lighting aspect. So....nevermind that area too much. Gather what you can from it.

The shrub on the right, turned out better than the left. I pushed it further into the background since it was just asking to be pushed back. I kept your general shape and tried defining the leaves a bit better. Hopefully this one makes up for the less than great left shrub.

As far as the rocks go, I noticed that there was a lot of unnecessary dithering going on. Your colors mesh together pretty well and your dithering seemed to me, to be a lack of understanding of where exactly light should go. I'm not exactly an expert, but I feel that all that dithering worked against the piece.

What I did was solidify the lighting a bit more. This was done by filling out some dithered areas with solid colors and utilizing your highlights a bit better. This is where I did the most random pixeling so I can't say exactly what went on but hopefully you can check it out and know.

** Edit **

Alright, the shrubs before were crap...really I felt they would offer little if any intuition. So, I redid them. Since I've gone into editing my edits, I'll refrain from doing any more edits on this piece. XD

As PKmays has said, this piece has gone very far since the beginning.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:04:32 am by Doppleganger »

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:27:20 am
I love the little guy.
Well the whole thing is great the only thing I find needing to be fixed is his head it looks to much as if he has no chin. but besides that its perfect in my eyes

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 02:38:58 am
There's been a huge improvement in this piece from its inception to its current state. Congrats.

I think taking away the green from the magical brain sparkle cloud makes it a little less...magical.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:19:07 am
Amazing edit Trem. Great job. Love the blue feel to it all.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 03:48:40 pm
Updated again. Did a lot of work based on Doppleganger's edit, and screwed with the whole chest-ribs area (which still bothers me, but I'm not sure how to fix it).

Doppleganger: Thanks so much for all the attention you've given this. The edit is fantastic, and I based most of the changes in the latest update on it. Not too sure what I did, aside from... blatantly copy you, so we'll leave it at that. :P The shrubs still need some work, but I think they're better than they were... I'll keep at it, anyway, and see where it takes me.

k0re: Thanks! Funny you should mention that, about the head, 'cause he does, essentially, have no chin. :P It was intentional.

pkmays: Thanks. I agree that there's been a lot of improvement, but I take no credit for it. It's due mainly to everybody's great crits, and doppleganger's amazing edits. I agree, too, about the green. When I changed it to blue, I lightened it too much and took away the sparkliness. It's back. :)

GNd: Thanks. I like blue, too.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 08:13:47 pm
Thanks for the recognition.   ;D

I'm a big fan of your work and it was lots of fun helping you through this piece. I think you got it from here though. ;)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 10:17:36 pm
Final update, unless anyone sees any glaring flaws. I just played with the anatomy on this one, possible messed it up, but I'm sick of looking at it, to be honest.

Thanks again, guys, for all the help.