AuthorTopic: Sparkly brain stuff  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Sparkly brain stuff

on: January 30, 2007, 04:04:53 pm
Past Versions:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Dreamer2.gif
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Dreamer3.gif
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Dreamer4.gif
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Dreamer6.gif

Current Version:

First pixels in a while. They still need work, but I think I've gone about as far as I can on my own. I think the palette needs an overhaul, but all crits/opinions/etc. would be great.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:16:37 pm by Tremulant »

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: Sparkly brain stuff

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:23:06 pm
Excellent colors choices, as always. The rock in the bottom right really sticks out from the rest. I don't really thinm it needs to be there. There might be some contrast issues in the whole piece, but i still don't think you should change it.

It's a very nice piece. Glad to see you back to pixelling. For awhile there you were posting like three pieces a week, and then you stopped. Did you get artist's block like I sometimes do?

In any case, can't wait to see more from you.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:32:09 pm
really cool piece. love the character design and poses.

in terms of criticism, i think the two pieces of the 'earth' that look like jutting stones (the bottom right, and to the left of the dangling leg) seem too pronounced and lack the dithering of the rest of the earth. Not sure, but they look more like chocolate when compared to the rest.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:43:16 pm
Hey, very nice piece. Your work is always pretty kick ass though. Usually I like your palettes a lot more but, you're right this one needed an overhaul. Using my palette skills and borrowing from your own, I took it upon myself to mess with your palette. I think that your earthworm jim piece inspired me most of all.

If I had the time, or wanted to mess with more than the palette, I would've edited the rocks and the shrubs. I feel that a lot more thought was put into the characters and general upper half than the bottom half.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:44:55 pm by Doppleganger »

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:44 am
this is tasty stuff.

agreed with the two big rocks looking out of place. I think adding'texture' to them would pull them right back into place.
they seem to smooth compared to their surroundings
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:44 am
I think the ground looks a bit generic.
You know the whole brown-purple shift.
Everything else is awsome though.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:58 pm
Updated. Thanks for the replies, fellows.

GNd: Contrast issues and me are like... two... things that go together... good. Anyway, bad similes aside, I'm not sure if the contrast is worse, better or indifferent in the new version. I see your point about the rock probably not needing to be there, but I think the lower half of the pic looks a bit empty without it... I could be wrong; stranger things have happened. :P

Vellan: True enough, about the rocks. I tried to texture them without being to blatant about it; too much dithering and they look messy, not enough and, like you said, they look chocolatey, or fake or something. I tried to address it, anyhow.

Doppleganger: I really like the colours in your edit. High saturation palettes are something that I really enjoy, but am also a bit scared of and inexperienced with. Consequently, when I tried to make it higher sat on my own, it just ended up looking... funny. Palette's been overhauled regardless, for better or worse.

Eqko: Thanks ;D. Like I said, I textured the rocks a bit, but probably not enough. Hopefully they blend a bit better now, but you tell me.

Soup: Agreed, to an extent, as I do like purple shadows. Personal preference aside, though, I guess they are used rather a lot. Anyway, the new palette's ditched 'em.

Thanks again, guys.

More crits, please! I know it's not finished.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:28:47 pm
I like the new palette a lot better. Looking back and forth between the old and the new, I can see what the main problem with the old palette was. Apparently those deep oragnes, reds, and browns stole the picture. The new cliff colors bring the picture together a lot better. The old ones just seemed to be yelling "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

I still feel that there are some issues with depth on the cliff however. The cliff looks rather two-dimensional. I think this could be fixed with a few simple shadows around the edges and the bottom. Right now, the only piece on the cliff that shows off depth is the "chocolate bar" (sorry :P).

As far as high saturation palettes go, I too enjoy them but am only getting back into them recently. When I first started pixeling, every piece I did was with the same high sat 256 color palette. Although, I had no clue how to utilize high sat colors. So, after quite a few years of working with ragnarok onlines extremely desaturated palette, and then my own extremely desaturated palette I felt it was high time to get back to basics. That, and it would seem that purple shadows and desaturation are going out of style. XD

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:14 pm
Mayhaps some kind of marking on the "chocolate bar" would make it less generic and chocolatey? Like a glowing rune or something...
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:00:51 pm
Current Version:

Love the new pallete.
Looks very new or modern.