AuthorTopic: Programmer needs suggetions on how to improved his pixel art!  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Skull_King

• View Profile
So like title says I'm a programmer who is making a game and having no artist I also have to do the art for my game! I'd love some advice on how to improved my pixel art! Unlike programming which is natural to me I have a really hard time drawing well. Art takes me a long time and sometimes I even get frustrated and give up because I just can't draw what I want to!Pixel art is the only art I can do because I have no actual drawing skills,like I can't draw curves etc.I have the hardest time when I need to draw big sprites 60x60+ for bosses etc and also have a hard time animating big pieces especially!

So I'd really use some good advice on how to get better and faster! How did you guys get better apart from drawing everyday which is obvious!

I've been drawing for around 2-3 months now and these are some exampled of my "best" work. Please point out any obvious newbie mistakes you see!

Offline Skull_King

• View Profile
Nobody wants to critique my art  ??? ? Someone? Anyone? Anything? Hello?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
This is a slow forum, responses can take time.
In addition, you posted your art as attachments, which can't be freely zoomed, unlike embeds. This makes viewing your art a hassle, and can dissuade people from trying to help.

Your work feels rather flat, it looks like you're struggling with shadows. Thinking in 3D and shading accordingly can be a tough concept to fully grasp, but doing some (non-pixel art) exercises in drawing and shading simple 3D forms and then putting them together into more complex objects may help you.

The colours on the bear are nice, you've got some nice hue shifting from warm to cool/purply brown there. That's a good technique to employ. However, you seem to be using a very large number of colours relative to the size of the sprites, making the whole thing look blurry. It almost looks like you scaled down a painting or a simple 3D render.