AuthorTopic: Crapadon (A Collaboration with Helm)  (Read 7450 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Crapadon (A Collaboration with Helm)

on: January 29, 2007, 09:06:48 pm
I was talking to Helm and he asked if I was interested in a collaboration. I jumped at the chance. At first I was just going to provide him lines and he would color them, but soon it turned into a form of an "exquisite corpse." I drew the head and then he drew the body. Then I colored the body and he colored the head. This is the result of our work.

For those of you interested, these are my and Helm's work in progress animations respectively.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:17:09 pm by David »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Crapadon (A Collaboration with Helm)

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:21:34 pm
I just wanted to say I enjoyed this collab a lot and that I thank David for the apportunity, I was honored.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:23:39 pm
Holy fuck.
This is awesome.

The only thing that could use some work would be the guitar.
As well perhaps some more dynamic shading on the arms as well.
Also the longest horn seems bent.

But besides those few things I love this.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:51 pm
Yesh the head and the shirt look awesome but that guitar could really use some work.
Looks kind of misplaced with all its flatness over such a well detailed work.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Chris_Alex

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:41:13 pm
I have issues with the guitar looking unfinished, the fingers on both hands could use some polishing, specially his left hand...and i feel theres something wrong with his right shoe, shading related...maybe include some of those interesting colours on the shoes and pants....other than that, i feel its a superb collaboration, and kudos to both of you.

Kinda liked the old horns though.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:51:01 pm
That's just briliant.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:13:18 pm
Wow, looks wonderful. My favorite part is the detail on the head thingy. However, the detail tends to fade as it moves down below head level. He does have some pretty thin legs, and arms are a little strange also, but that shouldn't matter since it was the line art to be colored/chosen any way. Don't think there was any way else to shade the guitar, seeing as how that's how the texture of a guitar should look, in my opinion. The only thing that could possibly change with it, is the shine, which is my biggest concern.
   Why is it, his shirt has some red/pinkish back light shining on it, however, his pants show no such detail? Otherwise, great detail here...
my back hurts...

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:15:12 pm
This is an awesome collab. Looks like you go great together. I'd like to see more collabs from the two of you.

I really like the motif for this one, it sort of looks like a chameleon-beetle-man (and I love all those three subjects). The pose and colours are really nice, as are the details in clothing. I really like the pants and shoes, and the guitar too (hot), but it could do with some highlights or shine and shadow from the arm. For the head; wow... just wow. I love the eyes and the drool from the tongue. But, the black line at the side of the shirt... is it supposed to be a seam? I'd suggest making it follow the curve of the shirt, and the wrinkles.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 11:35:18 pm
Lol. It seems like everyone's just praising helm's parts. :P
I think this is awesome and, as soon as I finish my pixelator entry I'd be up for something similar with someone.

Anyway, for nitpickage, aside from what's already been said, (which I agree with), I think the only thing that bugs my eye is the eye. I think it could use a bit more sheen. Also the wrinkles in the shoulder look wierd to me...like, as if there's padding beneath them. Oh, one more thing: It looks like some parts on the shirt have very bright hilights but when it gets to the sleeve it's like "Flat!" all up in yo' face.
I love the lower hand muchly, but it could use maybe like some hilights/details on the back. Like some of those bones and veins that pop out when you strain your hand.

That's it. I think the shoes and head are awesome.
Great job, guys!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 12:07:17 am
The orange is a bit strong to be used on the shirt, I think, and looks out of place without the legs and guitar catching some of the color too. I'm really liking the folds in the jeans created by draping from the knees, it's an area a lot of people seem to have trouble with and would just rather ignore, but I've lately been seeing more pieces that pay attention to it.

More could have been done with the guitar. Volume and tone knobs, maybe a whammy bar, more detail on the headstock and tuning pegs, and even a shoulder strap would've made it more interesting.