AuthorTopic: Finally, my first attempt at spriting.  (Read 11095 times)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Re: Finally, my first attempt at spriting.

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:03 am
hey Shin, I finaly felt like registering. Everything said you should realy take into thought, such as the darkness and JPEG! ahhh.. well after seening you trying to pixel, I grabed the version you sent me since the one you hosted is completely ruined and would take to much time to fix as Terley did. well here is mine..
colours are all listed with a total of 23  not counting the black and white, but its still pretty high I probably could of got it down lower, also I rushed on the hair.. so thats why its pretty bad.

P.S. First post!

Edit: alot of things I noticed look weird so im going to fix them later and edit the picture
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:38:11 am by K0re »

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:58:44 am
theres one thing you need to know to make pixel art. contrast.

and a bunch of other stuff....

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:48:06 am

Ahehe
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:50:09 am by Froli »

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:43:41 am
Just a little GraphicsGale protip here: go to All Frames -> Fit to image to get the canvas snuggly fit around everything but the bordering transparent color. And then you could always assign a hotkey to that option.

Hope that helps you in your future pieces.

Offline Shin

• "The one who is true."
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 06:49:42 pm
Thanks for registering Evan. You've honestly been a great help. My version, believe or not, uses a total of 27 colors so don't worry about you're versions color being too high.

Thanks comments everyone. I'll try to fix the errors ASAP.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 09:27:50 pm

First of all hello, welcome to Pixelation.

Your character is a very stereotypical longhair anime person. I know nobody asked me, but I had to mention this. Now to critique:

You're not using your colors as smartly as you could. The edit I edited falsely says 23 colors, it really has 30 of the suckers. Mine uses 17. A lot on the original are too close to themselves, and a lot are very close to black and can easily be taken away without any loss of detail or information on the sprite. If you're using MSpaint to do pixel art, stop. Use something where you can change your palette slots on the fly and on-screen so you can maximise contrast and tinting fast and precisely. Graphics Gale is a good free option.

The fabric you're using is underutilized, I feel. Check reference on good velvet suits for how to shade.

Check out SNK sprites for a pretty decent approach on how to shade cloth-on-human-being, I followed a similar route for the edit.

I know, I know, style. Nevertheless I found the angle of the left (ours) leg too much for comfort, and pulled it in.

Avoid sideways lightsources for fighter sprites. When the sprite flips, does the lightsource of the whole world flip with it? Or are you going to reshade every frame for the mirror of it? Top and bottom lightsources are usually applied in games, and for a reason.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 09:32:47 pm
As usual; fantastic edit and critique Helm, I'm sure it will prove usefull for me aswell.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:36 pm
thx I learned a bit from observing your colour choices.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:10:29 am
Oh lord, must of had some stray colours because I only ment for the 23. But Helm... amazing, it just shows me I have a WHOLE lot of  a way to go before I can consider myself at all decant. Hopefully I'll stay a while and show some of the stuff I make and learn from what you all suggest.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 11:03:27 am
I prefer the 1st version you have at the top of this thread. Not sure any of the paint overs or reworks actually add or detract from the original, they are in different styles after all.

I can't help shaking the feeling I've seen it somewhere before though. Any chance of that sketch?
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!