AuthorTopic: Zaban- FIGHTA JAD  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Zaban- FIGHTA JAD

on: January 29, 2007, 03:44:38 pm

Ya, this is the character that became of my nickname (which I came up with myself :\) after wanting an alter ego.

Lately, Jad and me have become separated whereas he some years ago were my alter-ego in my mind and roleplays on the intarnetz.

Which is why my real nickname now is Jäd. Yeah. Err, I make no sense. Just skip this. @ A@

Anyways, I made this since I wanted to participate in the kind of spriters tournament but then I kind of lost interest. Found it now and thought I'd post it, since it might get critique that will help me in my struggle to become a "Competent Pixel Pusher" as all kids wanna be when they grow up.

Yeah. So please. Give me critique. Strike me down. This crap is pixelled with such a lot of different styles and absent-mindedness that the only thing I know I'm content with is the look of it as a whole and the face.

So yar, kritikqwe plis.
' _ '

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Zaban- FIGHTA JAD

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 03:48:55 pm
the only thing that strikes my eyes are his arms.
They -especially the left one- are way too thin. You should make them a bit wider and maybe make his elbow stick out a bit behind the hand.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:32:15 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:01:11 pm
the angle of the characters right arm (our left) is very janky. it aapears to be completely missing the forearm.

other than that, the piece is really good, esp. the detail in the washboard abs   ;)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:46 pm
lots of different style decisions going on, what exactly do you have in mind of where you want to take the piece? are you thinking more value such as kof or maybe more lineweight and cartoony such as capcom etc?
i was in a fighter sprite craving, so i made an edit. your piece had some pallette unification going on, and if you even have a little bit in a fightersprite, it ruins the clean ramp rule, so you might as well just unify the whole damn thing and make it look extra purty.
 your sprite was so much for me that i lost my craving before i could finish the hand and shoe, youll just have to deal. i really dont have much to say about my edit( i do, but its too much to type, and an artist of your level would already know everything i said and it would be a waste of time) maybe it will give you some ideas. some other ways i think you could take this sprite are to show more volume, like in my edit but with clean ramps so that pallette swaps would work and it would be more in the vein of classic fighters. aswell as maybe focusing more on line weight and getting that comic/ cartoon feel both with pallette unification or not.
edit: btw, dont feel bad if you disregard any bit or even all of my critique, your at a much higher calibur of pixelartist than me so and opinion that you have that contrasts with mine is probably better on your side anyway.
edit2: man, im having way too much fun with your sprite, i made a clean ramped version aswell as a lazy little pallette swap to show it works. now little nooblets can easily recolor it and call it their own! yay!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:45:09 am by Ryumaru »