AuthorTopic: I need help to make these look better. [WIP]  (Read 1603 times)

Offline FantaStudios

• View Profile

I need help to make these look better. [WIP]

on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:50 am
lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:10:21 am by FantaStudios »

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Re: I need help to make these look better. [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:09:24 am
Hello and welcome to Pixelation  :). These are very interesting characters. I think your main problem is a lack of shading. When shading something, pick a light source and imagine how the shadows might fall on a 3D object. First off, you're going to want to make sure your darkest color is the outline, not vice versa. Working with smaller sprites can be difficult in making sure they are not blocky looking. Adding an outline will usually help this. Pick your darkest color, for example your pumpkin shoes, and outline the entire object. Then, using your secondary darkest color (and third, fourth, etc.) you can slowly chip away at the harsh black outline until it looks more smooth. Look up "anti-aliasing pixel art" for a bunch of excellent tutorials that will help you with this. Since the pumpkin head is round and you don't have a lot of canvas space to move the pixel to make it circular, using light and shading can help make it look more circular (with the lightest part being the middle of the pumpkin, since that's where the light would be hitting it the most).
Also, you'll want to make sure there aren't too many highly saturated colors. A good start!
Example edit: