Critique > Pixel Art

Understanding water flow in top down perspective

<< < (2/4) > >>

Doppleganger:
This is good progress, the water has some more personality now.

I get what you're saying in reference to matching tiles to each other's 8 frame animation sequence. My advice with that is try and work in sub-divisions that can equally divide into the main tile. Eg; if you're scrolling something on a 16x16 tile, and the anim is 8 frames, then it'd make sense to scroll it in 2 pixel increments. That is the most basic way to think about it, but the logic can be applied in various ways to make life easier and the animations more controlled.

Of course a big part of animating tiles is going to be finessing the work: it's one thing to get a standalone anim to look good, but to get an animation to cooperate with other animations in varying scenarios is going to require some amount of work for each possible scenario. You can break the tasks down into smaller goals if that makes things feel more manageable.

falz:
It is a departure from what you have now, but in your examples I see that there are discrete globules of shadow separating periodically from the larger shadow/reflection. I wonder if you could integrate that element

Vinik:
One relevant question is the ratio of your tiles, are they 1:1 or is there any foreshortening on the y axis due to the view (4:3, 2:1)? If so, I think you latter version is better because the side waves are shorter than width of the top waves. Even if the tiles are 1:1 the vertical shortening would be a good stylistic choice I think.

Also, are you going to put any classic watery texture on the surface, or going for plain color blue like Zelda with ocasional breaks? I wonder how a jrpg watery texture would interact with animated wavy borders like yours.

Excellent object of study, and good choice of starting simple, narrowing it down to the essential.

Beetleking22:

--- Quote from: Doppleganger on March 20, 2019, 11:02:48 pm ---This is good progress, the water has some more personality now.

I get what you're saying in reference to matching tiles to each other's 8 frame animation sequence. My advice with that is try and work in sub-divisions that can equally divide into the main tile. Eg; if you're scrolling something on a 16x16 tile, and the anim is 8 frames, then it'd make sense to scroll it in 2 pixel increments. That is the most basic way to think about it, but the logic can be applied in various ways to make life easier and the animations more controlled.

Of course a big part of animating tiles is going to be finessing the work: it's one thing to get a standalone anim to look good, but to get an animation to cooperate with other animations in varying scenarios is going to require some amount of work for each possible scenario. You can break the tasks down into smaller goals if that makes things feel more manageable.

--- End quote ---

Ty! I do the  2 pixel increments.. but what makes this harder is that my 8 frame itself have own movement animation.  If you combine those frames with 2 pixel increments.. Its very time consuming to fit together. .. The other problem is that when you make one side to match with another tile..  You need match both sides.. When you do that the tiles has basically new animation with slightly changes...Its like you have one tile with 16 frames and you need match them with another 16 frames for both side...Maybe its better if i dont animate each tiles.. or maybe I can mix them both like in my  previous edit?. . but my fear is that the water movement might look death... I will try to experimenting and find better method to make water animation look smooth without shit tons of work.

--- Quote from: Vinik on March 24, 2019, 02:52:29 pm ---One relevant question is the ratio of your tiles, are they 1:1 or is there any foreshortening on the y axis due to the view (4:3, 2:1)? If so, I think you latter version is better because the side waves are shorter than width of the top waves. Even if the tiles are 1:1 the vertical shortening would be a good stylistic choice I think.

Also, are you going to put any classic watery texture on the surface, or going for plain color blue like Zelda with ocasional breaks? I wonder how a jrpg watery texture would interact with animated wavy borders like yours.
--- End quote ---

Thank you!

I made basic typical 16 bit water tile settings......I made very fast for  experimenting.. So I did not think about ratio.  I think the current  left side of shadow are way too wide.. I think it would look better with thinner size. Maybe that current wider shadow would fit if my intention was to make Zelda style perspective. The older version have less animation and its very wavey looking.. The new version might have too much bubble rounds.. So I might reduce it.

Yeah the water will look very simple like in Zelda. Its not going to have textures etc. I will put small light particle that will spam randomly in the water and maybe some water plants... I have never tried animating Typical Jrpg water.... So I dont know how it might work with the shadows..

--- Quote from: falz on March 21, 2019, 07:13:39 pm ---It is a departure from what you have now, but in your examples I see that there are discrete globules of shadow separating periodically from the larger shadow/reflection. I wonder if you could integrate that element

--- End quote ---

Thank you.

Each tile has different animation movement.. So It might give that kinda of look... I did understand your point correctly?

eishiya:
Something to keep in mind is that the undulating dark shapes you see on water are not shadows, they are reflections of darker elements in the environment (while the base colour tends to be a reflection of the sky). As the water surface waves, the angle of incidence on each part of the surface changes, leading to moving reflections. This is what's responsible for the separate globs of darkness.

In addition, due to the Fresnel effect, water appears less reflective the higher your viewing angle is. This means that if your tiles are from-above or typical 3/4 RPG view, there should probably not be reflections at all, or only minimal reflections, and instead we'd see through the surface of the water and into the depths.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version