Critique > Pixel Art

Understanding water flow in top down perspective

(1/4) > >>

Beetleking22:
I really want make realistic and dynamic looking water in my game without using any Program Script or shades. I have only seen two piece of art with very impressive water flow.. One is from  Cocefi and second is from Decroded. I really want achieve same dynamic feeling in my water. Im still noob when it comes to water flow.. So I really want understand them better.

So here is bunch of question I want ask.   

So If  I understand right.. If the water is deep.. This darker shade is supposed to be reflection of the cliff? If the cliff is much higher.. Does it  means the shadow need to be higher too?

2. Does water flow fast only if there is waterfall nearby? Does normal wind make it flow as fast or just slower?  I tried to capture simple wind/waterfall movement.. Not sure If im doing it right.. This has just only 1 tile..

3.  How does the water shadow reflection animation works? I have watched some of Studio ghibli water shadow movement and real life. They seems to very Whobbly and wavey. I really have struggled to make the water flow like that in past.. So im trying still achieve the same flow.

Beetleking22:
I made the corner wavey.. I need add more tiles.. so the water does not look repetitive.

With more tiles

Doppleganger:
I think you have the right ideas. Usually the sine-wave type movement of water happens on more axis than just one. In your latest example you've captured that movement on one plane of an axis, but there are two more axes to consider. By applying that same math to the other axes you can better recreate the undulating motions of water. In general all things animate along arcs in a cyclical fashion, so understanding that principal will illuminate its uses as a tool in many different scenarios of animation.

I think it's very smart to research what you're trying to understand, and your attitude and approach are great! Looking forward to more progress, I think there could be a wealth of information for people to reference if you keep this thread active. Good luck!

Beetleking22:

--- Quote from: Doppleganger on March 16, 2019, 02:59:06 pm ---I think you have the right ideas. Usually the sine-wave type movement of water happens on more axis than just one. In your latest example you've captured that movement on one plane of an axis, but there are two more axes to consider. By applying that same math to the other axes you can better recreate the undulating motions of water. In general all things animate along arcs in a cyclical fashion, so understanding that principal will illuminate its uses as a tool in many different scenarios of animation.
--- End quote ---

Nice to hear! I consider just  copypast the same tiles of left axis and add it to right side + change the right side  direction to down . So the loop flow looks natural... My issue right now is when I make new tile and combine it with another.. The flow does not match it 99% percent. So each tile needs a lot of adjustment... for example each tile has 8 frames and they need all match with another 8 frame tile. Its little bit hard to explain but I hope you understand.

--- Quote from: Doppleganger on March 16, 2019, 02:59:06 pm ---I think it's very smart to research what you're trying to understand, and your attitude and approach are great! Looking forward to more progress, I think there could be a wealth of information for people to reference if you keep this thread active. Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I will try to finish this. Its nice if this will help other people to learn..  I think solid  environments animations can improve the graphics a lot even if graphics arent best looking.

Beetleking22:
Added better textures.. Now Im going to work on top and left waves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version