AuthorTopic: [Feedback][CC] Retro 90s RPG Mockup  (Read 8270 times)

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Re: [Feedback][CC] Retro 90s RPG Mockup

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 08:28:13 am
Definite improvement! :)

I can still see some obvious patterns in the grass. It's better, but it could be even better! As it makes up a good deal of the image I think it's worth picking away at for a few minutes.

Top left of the image there's some odd mirroring of grass going on...

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 03:49:10 pm
the grass mirrors funny up there as there is a transition tile for the path to the grass that hasn't been edited. I'll try messing with that and post another revision later.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 06:26:01 pm
I think I've fixed the mirroring grass by replacing it with the left-hand 8x16 of the standard grass tile again along the path.
Zooming out, I'm struggling to see tiling seams and I feel like the grass pattern is blending into itself a bit more, but who knows.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:46:34 pm by Traslogan »

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 10:01:33 am
Definitely looking way smoother! Good work.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so there's one horizontal-ish pattern of 4 bright pixels I'd probably want to break up or rotate through 90 degrees. But honestly, I'm stupidly sensitive to tiling issues and 99.99% of people will never notice an issue with what you have here. It's good, and any more work you put in will have diminishing returns.

I noticed the shadow coming off the left of the buildings. I mean, I've been looking at this image for a while and it took a while to spot, but it looks like the light source is coming from the exact right (but mainly from directly above), as the shadow extends horizontally from the base of the building. However, then you would only see a small triangle of shadow as the rest would be hidden by the wall.

If the light was coming from south-east (assuming north is up) then we wouldn't see the angled part of the wall casting a shadow, just the straight section. Assuming the shadow was long enough. At the current length it would be hidden.

The fact that both the angled section of wall and the straight section are casting a shadow kinda makes it look like the whole isometric design has been mapped onto a flat shape which is raised off the floor.

You could change the angle of the light or lengthen the shadows to fix it.

This is difficult to describe in words, so if you're interested and want an example as an image, let me know. But as I said, it took a while for me to notice this so you may not want to open up this particular can o' worms.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:13 pm
The shadow was just an experiment but good to get feedback on it. Wanted to see if I could add shading in some form, but of course it's an awkward style for such a thing. I think in a game-engine it would be a hassle since shadows would likely have to be added manually so they don't apply indoors and whatnot even on a tilemap system like Unity has.

In terms of the lighting perspective, yeah I wasn't sure how to convey the lighting without it being meaningless, so I did squander the angle a bit. If you look at the original inspiration, Ultima VI, it is a very weird style, though for light and dark they simply opted for a fog-of-war system that was extremely aggressive (And lighting then made some limited appearance in VII I think, but that is a far more complicated take on the same style).

TLDR: Yeah if the lighting doesn't make sense, shame but I'll probably just remove it if it would have to be negligible to make sense too.

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 01:05:25 pm
I agree it's probably best to remove it at this point.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 09:10:34 pm
I believe this marks the finished version of the mockup then. Thanks for the feedback folks!