Critique > Pixel Art

[Feedback][CC] Retro 90s RPG Mockup

(1/4) > >>

Traslogan:
Hey folks, I'd been playing a few old late 80s / early 90s RPGs like the middle of the Ultima series and wanted to do a "modernized" mockup in the same style, to see how they'd fit with a little bit more space, and wondering what folks think of the style and overall design.

Original size is above, but a more zoomed-out one is available here incase it scales weirdly in the forum layout:
https://www.deviantart.com/traslogan/art/Ultima-90s-RPG-Mockup-788275557

eishiya:
The background is very high-contrast, making the characters hard to see. Try keeping the values on the background surfaces to a narrower range, while interactive objects and characters keep the broader range, that way they'll be easier to distinguish.

The boards(?) and tiles on the floor feel very 3D and not flat like floors generally are, I recommend keeping shading to a minimum on flat surfaces.

Quick edit just replacing some of your floor/ground shadows and highlights with midtones from the same tiles:

I think the important parts are much easier to distinguish this way.

Traslogan:

--- Quote from: eishiya on March 11, 2019, 01:21:19 pm ---*quote*

--- End quote ---

Hmm, I agree that the backgrounds need some modifying for clarity, I had desaturated them all a little before posting to try and clear it up a bit over what it had been too, but I feel the changes you made maybe look the planks seem a bit dorky? They feel extremely simple to me. The grass is a reasonable compromise as it hasn't obliterated its complexity though.

eishiya:
You could add texture to the planks without making them into high-contrast logs, by using low-contrast colours and focusing on texture instead of trying to add shadows to flat objects.

falz:
This isometric style is awesome, I like the look of it so far :) . One thing I've noticed is the characters are not oriented with the correct perspective to be cohesive with the perspective, though. I modified the image to show the purple figure in the perspective I would expect the other man to be in. I just flipped him vertically and rotated him.

Also messed with the table legs and plate, the perspective felt off.

Also, yeah, it seems like less is more most of the time with the texture of background tiles. That isn't to say there can't be more detail, but the darks and lights just need to be closer together so as not to distract from the objects you actually want to draw the players' eyes to. That does unfortunately often mean that finer details become harder to see. But more detail doesn't mean more visually appealing. Blocks of solid color have their places, and can communicate what they need to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version