AuthorTopic: Artyom. Chibi Metro  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Malfesto

• View Profile

Artyom. Chibi Metro

on: March 06, 2019, 06:24:52 pm
Hello.
This my first try on chibi style pixel art
Feedback would be awesome.
Thanks in advance :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Artyom. Chibi Metro

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:00 pm
I think I've seen this base before, if it's the one I'm thinking of you should avoid using bases.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Malfesto

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:13:44 am
Im sorry. I have not used bases. I was not even sure If I was able to draw a chibi at all :)
It came out little wierd. Maybe I should use a base next time tho.

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:35:26 am
It looks like you have too many colors that are similar to each other that is making your armor look fuzzy. Since it's made out of metal, you'll want to add a distinct dark and highlights to make it look reflective. Also, it seems like your characters kneecaps are missing, which is making it look bow-legged. I like the detail on the head, but without detail anywhere else on the body, it just kind of looks like your character is wearing thigh-highs and booty shorts haha
Also, don't use bases! They don't help you learn anatomy. ( I don't think you did.. it's just that chibi bodies tend to look the same)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:40:40 am by strawberry »

Offline Malfesto

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:16 am
It looks like you have too many colors that are similar to each other that is making your armor look fuzzy. Since it's made out of metal, you'll want to add a distinct dark and highlights to make it look reflective. Also, it seems like your characters kneecaps are missing, which is making it look bow-legged. I like the detail on the head, but without detail anywhere else on the body, it just kind of looks like your character is wearing thigh-highs and booty shorts haha
Also, don't use bases! They don't help you learn anatomy. ( I don't think you did.. it's just that chibi bodies tend to look the same)

Thans alot :) Awesome feedback. Now when I look I see what you mean.
Its being maybe 2 weeks since i ve started learning pixel art. So a constructive feedback is very important to me :)
Thanks

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:55:53 pm
Im sorry. I have not used bases. I was not even sure If I was able to draw a chibi at all :)
It came out little wierd. Maybe I should use a base next time tho.

no. do not use bases.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:06:23 pm
Overall, it’s pretty good for a first try! The proportions definitely feel cute and you have a cool aesthetic there. The only proportional issue I see is that the arms may be a bit short. When your arms are straight, your fingers usually reach down to about midway down your thigh. You may want to consider making the gun a bit larger for more clarity and to help reinforce the cuteness of the character in comparison.

In regards to the composition, you may want to dim the snow on the ground a bit so that the logo pops out more in contrast and the background feels a bit more consistent in lighting level.

I agree with Strawberry on the rendering - you have some areas which look fuzzy or blurry due to having too many colors in certain areas. One area this is happening is the pants. You’re using what appears to be 4 shades to create the shading on the pants, but you really only need two. The colors you used to blend the light and shadow are redundant at this size and are causing banding (we can see individual bands of color in an area you’ve intended to look like a gradient).

While I understand the intent of trying to smooth areas out with many colors or add texture with dithering, I recommend trying to focus on how you can make your shadows into simple shapes which define the forms of your subject based on your light source. Currently, some areas of your character are lit from the side such as the pants, whereas other areas are lit from the top left such as the chest piece or muzzle of the mask. Try to make sure these forms are consistently lit from roughly the same angle and use as few colors as possible to start out with (if needed for detail, you can add in more colors as you go).

Once you’re comfortable with this, you can start thinking about more complicated concepts of how light interacts with different materials. Like Strawberry mentioned, metal is characterized by distinct dark and light areas. This would be good for metal which is polished and has a slick, reflective surface. Rough or dusty metal might have less clear reflections and a bit of texture to it with nicks in the surface and whatnot. Don’t be afraid to use reference photos or look at objects around you to study how you might approach rendering different materials.  :)

Good luck and keep at it! This is good for only having started pixel art two weeks ago. Imagine what you could do in a few months or even a year if you keep practicing!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:10:04 pm by Kiana »
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline Malfesto

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:29:55 pm
Kiana. Thanks a lot. wow.
I have problems with proporions and colors especially. Im trying to make them interesing but ending up making them very blunt.
Thats a lot to digest but ill try to fallow eveirhing you suggested.

Amazing. Really thanks a lot :)

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 01:29:55 am
No problem! Those are two really broad topics I'm still learning about myself, but both are really fun! Here are some tips.

Proportions seem really tricky at first, but they get easier as you figure out some generalized proportions you can use to measure with. Proportions are relative in art so you can usually check to make sure your proportions are accurate by comparing them to other parts of your drawing. One good reference for learning proportions is Andrew Loomis' books. His breakdowns are rather complex, but pretty rigorous and nice if you need accuracy. Some convenient measurements I like to use to ballpark proportions are that the upper body and lower body are roughly equal in height, the eyeline or browridge is roughly halfway down the face, and the fingertips roughly reach midway down the thighs when the arms are straight. Another commonly used form of measurement is heads tall, which is useful for keeping characters' heights consistent or making a character look a certain age or cuteness. Then you can use your convenient generalized measurements to make a more specific character. For example, lowering the eyeline can make a character look cute like in this drawing here. Characters come in so many different shapes and sizes, and it's fun to experiment. :)

Color is controlled by the light source(s) and environment. An arbitrary example of this is that if you had an environment which was mostly green, and a light source that was warm (as opposed to neutral or cold), your character might look like it was tinted green (because light bounces off the green surfaces onto your character) and you might see highlights that are yellowish or orangeish. On the other hand, if the light source was cold, perhaps you would see highlights that are more cyan. The basis behind "hue shifting" that pixel artists use for color is just the manipulation of light sources and the environment to get an interesting looking color scheme that gets your intent across (color serves functions like communicating mood and making characters stand out from or blend into the environment). Light works off a system called additive color and there are theories as to which colors naturally look nice together (color theory). You can play around with color schemes on sites like Paletton to get a feel for what you think looks cool.

If you need me to explain anything I've said in more detail or if something is unclear, just let me know and I'd be happy to break it down more.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline Malfesto

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 02:08:13 pm
Kiana. Thanks a lot. This means world to me.
I really want to advance and some day become a beter artist :)
Its not that I am unfamiliar with proportions or colors, Its hard for me to apply this knowlage for now.
Hopefully will learn with practice.
Now ill go back to play with Paletton :D
P.S. your avatar is super cute. Love it

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:16:53 am
Good luck! When you're aware of what to practice, you can get better a lot more quickly with practice than if you just used pure trial and error. :)

Thanks! It's a pixel portrait I made a few years ago.