AuthorTopic: i don't know what to practice  (Read 6098 times)

Offline bluezorua

• hello im a new pixel artist who likes pokémon
    • View Profile

i don't know what to practice

on: March 03, 2019, 06:03:07 pm
I did some squash and stretch and most tutorials say i should now do a run/walk cycle but that's a bit too difficult for me rn any tips of what i should do?  ???
hi how are ya

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: i don't know what to practice

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:56 am
Well, that really depends.

if you have the patience to put yourself through it, the fastest way to get good fast is mechanical studies. Random shapes, spheres, triangles, squares, putting all that in perspective grids to practice that, learning basic posing skeletons, drawing ACTUAL skeletons, going out and finding muscle charts and drawing THAT, and on and on. It's like building a tower out of clay by packing on more and more new skills and study, sometimes going back to the base to reinforce that so it doesn't all go pear-shaped

really it's all just getting that out of the way, but not everyone's able to buckle down and push that no matter how much they wanna git gud.

Instead, figure out what you enjoy drawing. Backgrounds? Characters? Props? focus in on that and spiral outwards.

(If this all seems vague it's because this is also a vague question haha, without seeing your work I can't really guide you much beyond this)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: i don't know what to practice

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:35 pm
It may be useful to spend some time with a pencil and paper and tutorials like this one: (I googled "tutorial cartoon animals")
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/cartoon-fundamentals-the-secrets-in-drawing-animals--vector-17361
Even if you don't find one for exactly the drawing style you prefer, the practice is really helpful to represent what you want to draw - and understand what makes a character look happy, grumpy, etc.