AuthorTopic: [ Traditional ][ WIP ] Yggdrasil  (Read 5874 times)

Offline fxJoan

• joans_art
    • View Profile

[ Traditional ][ WIP ] Yggdrasil

on: February 28, 2019, 08:07:37 am
Decided to take a break from pixel art and get back into traditional drawing a bit, as well as study a bit.

Here's my take on Yggdrasil from Norse mythology.
Pencils used:
  - 2B

Notes:
  • There isn't really a specific light source as I was mostly focused on bringing out the details on the bark with shading. With that said I will try to implement a specific light source and overlay shading and highlights.
  • The original image was higher res than the post so had to reduce the resolution, hope not a lot of details was lost. ( Here is the original https://imgur.com/Q991oUx )

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Re: [ Traditional ][ WIP ] Yggdrasil

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:22:21 pm
interesting take on yggdrasil.
a uniform lightsource would really bring out the forms i think.
a few more branches and perfect circles on the orb thingies and some shading that make them look more round and it would be perfect.

Offline fxJoan

• joans_art
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 05:07:23 pm
Thanks pyxelbit,

I will be sure to add a uniform light source. The orbs are supposed to be 9 realms / worlds that Yggdrasil connects.
Here is where I got the idea for that. Found it on google images while I was looking for references.

The thing I am concerned the most with is what to do for the top of the tree, which style of leaves to go for, will have to experiment with different styles and see what I think will fit the most. Although there is a lot more to do before it's time to do the leaves so I have time to think about it. If anyone has suggestions for that feel free to link some references, so far haven't any that I like.

P.S. After I previewed the post I noticed that someone edited Pokemon on the picture  :lol:

Edit:
 - Thinking about making all 9 orbs a unique light source or at least the main orb ( the one in center of the tree ). Still deciding wether to go with that or another totally different option.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:55:22 pm by fxJoan »

Offline fxJoan

• joans_art
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:17:29 pm
Here is how shading came out, not sure if I like it but there is no hard undo button for traditional xD . . . All of the orbs are supposed to be a light source.

Also after taking a day off from drawing this piece, I realized that the foreshortening could have been done a lot better, guess I will have to keep that in mind next time.