AuthorTopic: I need some guidance  (Read 5877 times)

Offline Mogarbobac

• View Profile

I need some guidance

on: February 19, 2019, 04:53:23 am
So i'm putting together a Game Design Document and I wanted to use the Pixel art medium for the game. I guess I need some advice on what is possible using pixel art. For example, I'd like to keep the game simple and minimize the number of sprites that would have to be created. The game has 6 unique weapons that the player can use. Would a character sprite need to be created for each different weapon that is picked up? Or could you create the character and insert the weapon onto the pixel body like you could in a 3D game?

Follow up question along the same line of questioning. This game has multiple users fighting larger monsters and I need the monsters to move fairly dynamically. For example, think of a giant snake slithering back and forth, is there a way to have the pixels move as the snake moves along or gets pulled in certain directions? Is there are certain terminology for this type of movement? I've heard of some pixel games using both 2d and 3d elements, would this be something that would fall into that criteria? Thank you!

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Re: I need some guidance

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 07:23:24 am
Creating the character and inserting the weapon is the most common way of changing weapons in a 2D game. 100% possible.
A way I might do this is have the sword plus animation as a separate object in front of the character, then creating a hitbox when that sword swinging animation is in use. Making a game is really about breaking everything down into really small parts that look bigger when complete.
For your second question, yes that's also possible. See this video of an Owlboy boss fight that describes what you are asking for (slight spoilers for Owlboy btw... also possible epilepsy warning).

https://youtu.be/nSMT_W_l3Rw?t=206

I bet there is certain terminology for this movement, but I can't think of it. It's done through coding though. Almost anything is possible with the right game engine!  ;D What are you thinking about using?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:34:02 am by strawberry »

Offline Mogarbobac

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:50:47 am
We were considering using GameMaker studio 2, however I’ve heard that it’s tough to setup multiplayer using the platform. What I have heard though is that it’s an easier software to use. We were also considering Unity or RPG Maker.

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:47:02 pm
Gamemaker does have a more friendly user interface, but it does have limitations that unity might be more equipped for. While using Unity looks daunting at first, there are many great tutorials online that will help get people started. While RpgMaker is a great beginner engine, I don't think it has a robust (or if at all) multiplayer and I don't think it can do the Snake Enemy thing you were asking about. Personally I would suggest using Unity since a lot of bigger projects that start out using GameMaker will later switch over to Unity because of GameMaker's limitations (like what Hyper Light Drifter did). Best of luck on your game project!