AuthorTopic: Iona WIP  (Read 3474 times)

cryssy

Iona WIP

on: January 26, 2007, 05:23:25 am
I got commissioned by a friend to make her layout
She sent me the character sheet and told me she wanted a frame layout with Lilies and her character on a lily
Here is Iona's Character Sheet
Iona
Meaning: Purple Jewel

Character Sheet:

Hair Color: A bright red with blonde chunks (larger than highlights chunks are about an inch thick on real life hair)

Hair Style: Her hair goes to the middle of her back, and is done up in just about any style, and just simple straight hair with a slight wave to it, no bangs.

Eye Color: Purple, a beautiful amethyst color.

Clothing: Loves to wear ball gowns/dress. Jeans (wide leg bellbottom type, no tight ankle jeans) but no tee shirts always some type of dress up shirt. Will wear just about any style of clothing from punk to Japanese street. Shoes of choice are platform dress shoes or platform sandals, or any boot with a high sole.

Clothing Color: Main color is Purple...then some hints of green and crème

Other stuff: Has a vine tattoo high on her shoulder...coming from her back onto her arm. Right above her breast she has a simple purple heart, and a vine type tattoo around her wrists. Has 4 earrings in each ear, usually studs and her nose is pierced with a simple stud.

She requested a specific body. Base Outline from http://sabraelle.dalliann.com/

So far this is what I have..

transparent

Example of one of the lilies

And this is where I am going
I am still trying to get her hair down I am working on a blank version of the girl above trying to do the lines, I am going for a Heian inspired hair style (primarily down with minor accents). Her Right breast (our left) still seems awkward to me but I am unsure of how to correct that since the base line that I am using the creator specified no altering of the lines.

update

small update 2 (I hate programming)

I am still tweaking the hair so it will be a little better soon. I am in the process of reshading the skin based off of pkmays great advice :) pkmays I want your palette creating skill o.o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:00:59 am by cryssy »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Iona WIP

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:57:29 am
Well, this was gonna be just a quick little edit, but I started enjoying myself, and got carried away. Gwehehehegh...

Alright here are the changes I remember making:

First and foremost, cleaned up lines around the chin, as it kinda looked like stubble.  \:3

Blued up the dark browns and the black in the eyelashes. Incorporating the two purplish blue shades into the skin was a good idea, but the darker shades after them go to a redish brown, which made them look muddy next to those blues. Also added some red to the blue shadow to make it blend with the skin better. Eyelashes are actually quite a bit lighter from all the blue added.

Removed the perimeter light on the left cheek and emphasized the the reflected light on the right side of the face and shoulder.

Toned down the dithering. Going dither crazy makes the sprite look messy, which was evident by the blue in the neck and the heavy dithering on the shoulder. On skin, it's best to use dithering as a method to buffer between shades, not blend between them.

The left eyelash was angled up as it looked off balance, like it was drooping slightly.

Moved the eyes to the right as her gaze was somewhat ambiguous. The pupil in right eye was moved to the right as well, as it was causing a cross eyed effect. Reflections changed to correlate with the reflected light. Added a horizontal reflection for no reason other than it's cool. Removed blue shading in the eye whites and used skin tones instead.

Darkened lower eyelashes, Added some bags below the eyes with shadows and highlights to make the eyes pop more. Added a color for the tear ducts, probably not necessary.

Lots of anti-aliasing around eyes and eyebrows. Lightened outlines around the scalp. Totally unnecessary, but could be educational.

Reshaped lips to be more smile like, added dimples, added highlight above upper lip, broke up highlights on lower lips to give a textured effect. Added nose stud.

Rounded out the clothing, and added the beginnings of some reflected light to match the lighting on the skin.

Brightened up earrings as they where getting lost in the outline of the ear.

Her Right breast (our left) still seems awkward to me but I am unsure of how to correct that since the base line that I am using the creator specified no altering of the lines.

I'd have to see the base to judge, but the profile looks fine to me. I think the crease in her cleavage extends a bit too far out and to the left, which makes it look overly tapered. Maybe that's the problem.

Yeah, I'd say watch out for your dithering more than anything. The way you're using it now is slightly abusive.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:46:13 am by pkmays »

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:31:35 am

the leg coming forward should effect the skirt

cryssy

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:07:58 pm
Jeeze Pkmays so much to go through.  :-*  ;D
I will start looking into all of these and try to apply them myself because I like to make sure I can do the suggestions given to me lol
But I love your skin edit I may have to use it >< Skin was alway my most difficult
Sorry about abusing dithering but on the size she is to me I tried cutting it down and it didn't look smooth but I didn't play with it for more than 6 hours So I will try again with it.
*starts reading*
*pokes* BTW

Legofreak.
I can't believe I never noticed that XD I am glad I asked for suggestions

*is working on a big update*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:51:06 pm by cryssy »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 11:39:19 pm

Reduced the shadow on the bust and changed the angle more towards the center of the chest.

Sorry about abusing dithering but on the size she is to me I tried cutting it down and it didn't look smooth but I didn't play with it for more than 6 hours So I will try again with it.

I think you can get away with adding two or three more skin shades to smooth things out, as long as you avoid pillowing everything. A few extra transitional shades should result in a smoother sprite than heavy dithering. And of course those shades could be dithered a bit to make things even smoother.

cryssy

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:33:24 am
ok with these suggestions I plan to have her entire upper body done on the next update XD
But I promised friends I'd party with them tonight ^-^

I guess I was just trying to limit myself too much with colors but I agree a couple of extra transition shades couldn't hurt