AuthorTopic: Bruce Lee  (Read 25756 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Bruce Lee

Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 03:35:20 pm
hahahahahaha I can imagine him doing the high pitched hiyas as he runs like that snake. Still, I think gameplay wise, the one mad is using is proper.

I think an extra stress frame there makes this a much more weighted and determined walk.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:49:20 pm by Helm »

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 04:46:38 pm
snake, hahahah! That's awesome, you're killing me, heh! *SAVED*

Helm, that's a nice edit, thanks, and I agree. I spend all week on the animation, and you make it look twice as good in like 5 minutes. ;) Must analyze...

I really appreciate everyone who's helped me out on this so far.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 04:48:11 pm
I am hugely not a fan of 6-frame walks (unlike Tsu :P) I think you NEED the stress frame where the character STEPS onto the ground. Which is what I added. Then again, I'm no expert in animation.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 04:54:49 pm
You know, I vowed last time I made a 6-frame walk animation that I'd not do it again, and go with 8 frames. However, since I felt strapped for time and was just getting back into the pixel swing, I DID IT AGAIN. :( Your edit has made me see the light, once again, and nevermore shall I stray from the righteous path.

Besides, this is Bruce, baby! He deserves more than 6 frames.

However, I cower in fear at the tongue-lashing I'll receive once I reveal my 2-frame attack animations. ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 05:00:39 pm
if you make good keyframes (and boy, mad, you do) then adding extra smoothing and dynamic frames to soften the transitions out where you need them is a matter of copy-pasting-shifting-pixels for like, 5 minutes

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 05:24:38 pm
the animation is pretty flawless but may I suggest adding a bit of variation to this, frames 1 and 4, and 2 and 5 are basically identical with flipped around legs and arms (almost symetrical), when your walking did doesn't tend to happen, as a leg steps forwards the timing tends to be much quicker than the the still foot moving behind the body. Im not too sure how else to explain it, well just look at my edit.. I changed the floor contact to frame 6 so its easier to tell its a stride

>>

I agree with Helms edit there needs to be more emphasis on on the step, repeating what helm said I also am not a animation expert  :-X.

looking great, hope I helped.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:57:11 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:04 pm
You made Bruce limp. Bruce doesn't limp.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:54 pm
So far Helms is best by far. And the one snake made is hilarious.

On a sidenote - In classical animation you normally have 12 frames per step so 24 frames for a walkcycle = 1 second and about twice as much for a run, 6 frames per step, 12 for full cycle = 1/2 a second.

And of course how many frames you need strongly depends on the character you are making and what speed he is going at.

I personally like 8 frame runs and 12 frame walks for games.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:39 pm
That limp is due to the head bobing up and down so rapidly, that can be fixed. the stride is should be mostly in the legs, then again this is only my opinion. I stand by what I said about the leg movements.

>>
Im just tryin to keep it to 6 frames, you shouldnt have to add more frames imo.

I don't think the head movements should be so exagerated, it reminds me of a pigeon walking.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:21:42 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline loempiavreter

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 08:53:15 pm
I'm not sure what a "dragon stance" is, but I am familiar with a variety of stances (cat stance, horse stance, female stance, etc.) and none of the traditional kung fu stances really match what Bruce uses.
[offtopic]Didn't Bruce make up his own style or something?[/offtopic]

This is nice.

JKD is an mixture off about everything that is effective. Bruce Lee himself always fought in Bi Jong Stance.