AuthorTopic: [WIP] monkey island piece  (Read 4739 times)

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

[WIP] monkey island piece

on: January 27, 2007, 04:56:05 pm
i've been working on this one for quite a while, started around xmas 2005(!) but work and doing other pixel pieces distracted me from finishing it.. posting it here as wip probably accelerates me to finalize it  ;)

yep, base is steve purcells ingeniouis monkey island cover (no need to post a reference everybody knows =)
i am collecting old lucasfilm adventures in original boxes and was very desperate to pixel my favourite covers (if i get this done there are zak mc kraken and maniac mansion still waiting)

copied the original box using the grid method (no, i didn't pencil the grid on my beloved box, i've got an office copier =).. with individual grids for every part (skull, cannibals, pirates,..) as the original is portrait format and i needed 320x240 landscape (this piece was done for the pixel competition of the pirate-themed tum2005-demoparty)
looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: [WIP] monkey island piece

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:28:42 pm
Woot!

Steve Purcell is one of my all-time favorite artists. I traded e-mails with him once and almost succumbed to a bliss-coma. It's obviously unfinished but one spot to address is where the boat intersects with Guybrush's head. There should be a slight overlap or they shouldn't be touching at all - when two objects at different depths touch each other perfectly like that, the illusion of depth is lost. I imagine just doing a bit more AAing there would fix the problem. Same with where he sword touches the ship. If it were maybe two pixels longer it would restore the depth illusion.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 10:20:35 pm
I have never seen the original piece, but this looks very spectacular--I love how smooth it is... but it's rather distracting how the piece is finished...perfect...in some areas, but then right next to that spot, there's still messy lines and unfinished aa, etc. (this is a wip though, right? so it's understandable.)

I feel this could benefit from dithering, like on the skull, and on the bone below it, and the blonde guy's left arm.  But all in all, this thing is really cool...if I wasn't so lazy right now, I'd look up the original...
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:08:34 am
The 'blond guy' has a name,

and he's Guybrush Threepwood. :P

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:45:27 am
good point Ben2theEdge, thanx a lot.. i've fixed that instantly and started detailing the right eyehole

rydin: what part of "work in progress" don't you get?  :huh:
looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 02:13:25 am
I'm really liking this piece. nice use of the palette especially on the blond dude's shirt and the skull.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 11:18:19 am
Nice to see you here. Tho I have to say I would like to see original stuff that is not copied. I think copying, esp grid copying does not do anything good for you as an artist, it just makes you a copying machine and there is not much creativity involved. Apart from that technically it is very nice. I would suggest to get some hue variation going on in your ramps. They all are more or less one seperate hue each ramp just changing in lightness. Hueshifts help to give objects more depth and look more attractive in general as well as helping to conserve colours, tho I doubt you are going for that ;)

Also, no need to post a 2x version, this forum has a zoom function. Clicking on an image zooms in shift-clicking zooms out.

Have a nice stay :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 11:42:44 am
First of all I would like to say that I love your works, you're one of my favorite artists at pixeljoint. Since I am a huge fan of Monkey Island (and all the other Lucasart adventure games) this peace is even more interesting for me (copy or not). I think you have captured most parts of the original piece really well but there are some small things to improve. Here's a crappy edit for ya:

I tweaked the expression on guybrush's face to make him look more surprised.

And for those who haven't seen the original image, here it is: http://wiki.fz.se/images/c/c8/Secret-of-monkey-island_box_front_1600x2011.jpg
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:49:25 am
Maybe it would look better with the right pirate added in. Good job, it looks very good.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 06:42:43 pm
Also, no need to post a 2x version, this forum has a zoom function. Clicking on an image zooms in shift-clicking zooms out.

Control-clicking to zoom out is safer, at least in firefox, it keeps the image from dissapearing.