AuthorTopic: Colors look too muddled? 32 x 32 tileset [WIP]  (Read 3539 times)

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Colors look too muddled? 32 x 32 tileset [WIP]

on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:18 pm
Hello. I am working on a grass tileset. However, I believe the colors are not separated enough and that there's not enough darker colors. Every time I try to change the colors it doesn't turn out looking good so I'm at a standstill. Any feedback is appreciated and thank you.  :)

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Re: Colors look too muddled? 32 x 32 tileset [WIP]

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:16:11 am
Solid start, but I think the high saturation of the colors is going to fight you. The dark areas of the grass are a very intense aqua/blue.

In general, I tend saturated the brighter lit objects, and desaturate the shadows. The red-ish edges on your bricks might be a better example of this treatment than the grass. As an experiment I desaturated the grass and adjusted the hue shifting to be more subtle:

At that point, I had any easier time changing other things like the grass brightness/darkness or the contrast. For example, this pic has less contrast and is darker.

As a general principle, you want high contrast in the important objects like the characters or interactables, whereas backgrounds tend to be feel more muted to avoid being distracting.

Of course, I might have gone overboard with the brightness. That kind of thing is highly subject to your own artistic discretion that changes wildly with the type of grass, time of day, and weather.  ;D

Hope that gives you something to mess with.

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 04:40:31 am
Hey thanks for your help! ;D With your suggestions, I was able to desaturate the path and tweak it to how I would like. Unfortunately in the process I've realized that the grass tileset I was working with looked too marshy for the type of feel I was going for, and also made it difficult (because of the over-detailing) to add things like flowers and rocks (it also seemed too flat). Because of that I decided to redo it while still keeping the basic feel of what it used to be.
Here's an update :

Still a WIP. C+C still welcome! Thank you.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:18:32 pm
Unless you're specifically going for a very blocky look, try to avoid such straight boundaries between the two grass types and along the sides of the dirt(?). You have plenty of space within the tiles to make the boundary irregular while still having the edges of the tiles match up.

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 07:51:07 am
 :) You're right. Thank you eishiya it makes the tiles look a lot better. Dirt tiles removed since they didn't match the aesthetic I'm trying to go for.
Update:

Still a WIP. C+C still welcome. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:53:12 am by strawberry »

Offline strawberry

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 02:40:47 am
Added water. Redid the darker grass. Not entirely sure if the water is too plain looking. Any C+C welcome  ;D

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 04:30:21 am
It kind of looks like there is a yellow filter over it, except for the rocks, which also have a lot more contrast than the other stuff and it makes them look very shiny and a bit out of place. Specially the tiles.
The rocks in the water tiles look way better. Or at least more cohesive and less repetitive.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 02:25:51 am
Agree on the yellow front. I had an issue w/ a poorly calibrated monitor many many years ago, during my first foray as a freelance pixel artist, and all of my art from that period had a yellow tinge to it. Based on the overall warm to all of your work, I feel that you may have an issue w/ ur monitor's color calibration. Maybe cross reference your work on a few devices. Overall the tiles are solid, so I think the color choices are what is affecting you most, which might not even be your fault or something ur aware of.