AuthorTopic: Block sprite for game  (Read 9246 times)

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: Block sprite for game

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 09:34:57 pm
It looks much nicer, good portrayal of the expression!

I think that even if you're doing something in a cartoonish style, you should be wary of the locations of joints and body parts. You can have a massive body and wide legs and feet, but you should still be able to tell where his elbows and knees are. I also said he was very sketchy; the lines are rather jagged and need fixing in several areas, notably the back, his sandals/feet, and his arm.

He also has some lightsource issues: you have shadows on the upper parts of his arm and the top of his head, but his shirt is showing a lightsource somewhere above him.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:58 pm
Alright I played around with it and made an edit for ya.  ;D

Absolutely love the emotion on all these guys.  :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:35:37 pm by Souly »

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:55:45 am
Oh,thanks guys!I will make an edit of the sumo dude tomorow and try to redo the anatomy and lightsource issues...also thanks for the great edit and comments Souly!I will be sure to apply what you have done to the sprite....tommorow..sorry my internet has been acting up lately...anyway..thanks again guys!I'll be sure to edit this post tommorow!
-CK-

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 10:49:11 am
Those blocks are nice. With the sumo, his feet are too long, also why isn't he wearing the usual sumo outfit. Make his cheeks
rounder.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:25 pm
Thanks for the C&C sharprm!I believe I have put your's and MoD's critiques to good use:

I tried to redo him so he wasn't as slouched(sp?).I found an image of a sumo restlers posture when standing on google...so..it should be correct..anyway..when I am finished editing the blocks,I will edit this post and...post them.Also,please tell me if I got anything wrong with the anatomy,because I really want to get this guy correct.Thanks for all the comments!
-CK-

Offline Jhelle

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 10:29:46 pm
I am not 100% sure but you will most likely need to give him a more natural composure, cause atm he looks to be standing on one giant blob of fat or something  :D

Maybe this will help you a bit

http://boury.fabienne.free.fr/images/peint_z_sumo1.jpg

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:51 pm
Hmm...I see what your saying...thanks for the critique Jhelle!I tried a quick sketch of a pose I was trying to incorperate with the drawing...keep in mind that the game is a platformer and the sumo must be facing the character...that is why it has this pose:

Please tell me if this is correct or not...if there is anything I need to change please tell me..thank you.
-CK-
Edit:Figured i'd post a new block i've been working on...I took some of your advice with the lighting,Souly..anyway,here it is:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:07:35 pm by Conkerking »

Offline Jhelle

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:05:31 pm
Well I do like this lineart better then the other sprites you made but his head or neck is kinda weird, like his head is has grown out of a extension of his back which gives him a bit of a hunchback look.
And you might also want to make his right leg less apperant cause the direction he is standing with his feet gives you the assumption that he would is facing more the right but since its a platformer he should be facing straight ahead :)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 11:14:58 pm
With the latest block you probably want a different pallete - it looks a bit ugly to me at the moment.

Whatever sumo design you settle on, you need to shade it properly. Leave out details like veins, just shade it to suggest which
parts are fat etc.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 11:47:51 pm
Whoah!Thanks for that great edit sharprm!So,your basically saying,toon shade the whole thing and leave out the extra stuff,hmm?Well,i'll get to working on it as soon as possible!I'll edit when i'm done.Thanks again for the edit sharprm!
-CK-