AuthorTopic: RPG Sprite and Tileset WIP  (Read 3001 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

RPG Sprite and Tileset WIP

on: January 26, 2007, 06:00:49 am
:D I'm working on a little project mainly to improve my pixel pushing, I'd like some advice because these are giving me a lot more trouble than I think they should. These are WIPs.

This is the sprite for a weird alieny character. You can see what I had before and what it is now.

I also need some help with tilesets. The grass looks a little off, maybe it's the color, and it took me a long time. For the most part I think it's acceptable. The cobble stone probably needs another color and the space between each stone seems ugly.
Thank you ahead of time. I really hope I can improve these with your help.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: RPG Sprite and Tileset WIP

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:20:26 am
the horizontal lines are very clear in your grass tile, and should probably be broken up.  I would also try varying your palette more!  Work a little more yellow into your bright areas maybe - here's a simple change to your 4-color grass palette:

Your little alien guy is headed in the right direction, i'd pay attention to the same issues though - work some other colors in there, experiment!

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:15:28 am
Thanks AdamAtomic, how would I break up the horizontal line? I've also noticed a lot of the more "real" pixel art doesn't go from a dark green to green to light green. Is there some rule of thumb to help me with this? Am I over complicating all of this?

I made some pants and shirt color changes. I can't decide if any look good.
I think I just spent 15 minutes making the hands look worse. How do I make hands look like hands?

Feel free to be harsh with the C+C.

cryssy

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 07:34:00 am
Hue shifting gives wonderful effects but is by no means necessary. It is more how the person chooses to pixel it. It can be hue shifted or not. Now that I am getting into hue shifting I love it. I feel it brings pieces to life more

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:56:03 am
There's no real rule of thumb except "check out how light works in real life".  That's really the guiding force in "real" pixel art - real grass doesn't actually go from dark green to light green.  Yellow from the sun, blue from the sky, the green chlorophyll, brown dirt, tan/white of dead chlorophyll cells, all these things contribute to a really wide range of color values, even in something as "simple" as grass.  Shadows are never really black - blue is a very pervasive color in our world, because of that whole "sky" thing.  So even when there is very little light (like under a plant) outdoors, there is still a lot of blue!  Also, for illustration purposes, blue is a good shadow tone anyways because it receeds (this is not a real "rule" per sec, just a useful optical effect).

These are all the things that you should process when you're sliding your colors around!