AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 35643 times)

Offline drbokchoi

• Tonight, I dine on turtle soup!
    • View Profile

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 01:40:15 am
Right. Watch, as I go in depth into what I just said!

Almost forgot about the pixels >_>

Well a concept art into sprite would be good.

I didn't go very deep. But yeah. Like that one contest. I think it happened on ign, if I'm not mistaken. It was of that wisp-ish character, remember?

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 02:05:36 am
So I've been programming lately, and here's what I came up with:

It's an automatic pixel-art generator. If you look closely, you can see an octopus. Don't you just love it? This is the alpha version. Here's the binary and source in .cpp version:

http://www.freewebs.com/stairwaytoevan/PixelGenAlpha1.zip

Enjoy! Updates to come (heh)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 02:30:36 am by Evan »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 02:12:47 am
Couldn't we just have a sketch/concept pixel art thread for either sketches/concepts we intend to pixel or sketches/concepts done with pixels? I often sketch with pixels - 2 or 3 colour, 15 minute stuff. It would be like an ultra WIP thread where much of it just wouldn't be completed ever.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 05:16:07 am
Can I get a list of all the mods for pixelation? I got something I want to send, and I don't want to leave any of them out.

Also, any suggestiosn for a halloween challenge? If we're going to do one, then I figure we've got until the 3rd week of Oct. to decide on how to do it. I'm more of a tiling man, so what I would like to see is a mass collaboration graveyard. It'd be like the tile collaborations before pixelation's latest crash where people take numbers and fill in the corresponding tile on the map. However, there wouldn' be any long lines as you wait for someone to finish up the tile next to yours as each tile on the map would be completely modular.

An mockup showing hwo it might be done:

On the left is a cross-section of a graveyard. there is a large variety of terrain types, varying from the surface to dirt, a cavern underground and even magma if someone were up to it. The possibilitiess are endless. you could get together with some fellow members and create interesting scenes in the dirt. Maybe a robot hell or two, or even jut a plain hell. Perhaps some sort of zombie city will materialise, or even a plain cross section of some poor soul banging against his coffin after being buried alive. Above this is a wide open sky for anyone to take advantage of. Witches, moons, bats, whatever you can think of.

On the right is a simple top-down graveyard. It would be as the left divided into tiles with each person free to draw whatever they want on their tile. Some might go for the classy headstone, the zombie lover might feel content with a zombie bursting from it's grave. The possibilities aren't as great with this one, but it would allow for the creation of a very interesting graveyard unique to this very community and its members.

And to increase the consistency between artists, the midtones at the very least would be decided on prior to the challenge being started. Everyone would have the same colour grass, dirt, sky, cavern and would be able to draw from these to get an idea of what colours they would use. Might even be good to include some example hightlights and shadows for those who want it.

Maybe use a 64x64 tile as the standard. That should provide enought space for the most part. It will also allow people to complete multiple tiles.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 07:53:01 am

O_o you showed me how cga could have been worse than it was. Incredible.

And i can't see any octopuss, stop taking drugs!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 04:54:26 pm

If you have the will, there's nothing too big to be pixelled. But I would probably suggest an indexed painting mode (demoscene style, may need a particular app to do it), like some of the cool large backgrounds which have been posted on the forum before.

Where can I find out how to do indexed painting?

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 01:53:12 am
I felt a need to post more random history so I did!  I got more yet Ill save that stuff for later!
Eli Whitney the inventor of the cotton gin played a pivotable part in creating the pre-Civil War south as an economic power.  Cotton has transformed the south from an undeveloped and underpopulated wilderness into the home of Americas largest cash crop.  It enriched not only the south but also the north, which had its own thriving textile industry and whose merchants shipped it to England.  Which used it to sell and eventually get firearms and gunpowder to sell to African kings for slaves, to sell to the south, to get more… cotton…  Well that’s Eli Whitney a hero to some and a enemy to more.  Not only that most people didn’t buy the E.W. made cotton gins because cheaper and better-made ones could be just built by themselves.  Yet Eli’s name is mostly remembered for the cotton gin yet the true reason he is in the books is because of his second invention, the invention of mass production.  How ironic is it that one of his inventions fed the south more slaves and the second fed the north firearms to fight the south.   Heh, I chuckle to myself at this one while I lay in bed on summer nights. 
BIW thanks the BRI for binding this information along with tens of thousands of other pages of random junk into mass produced books.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:35 am
Darien: Grafx2, Deluxe Paint IIe, and Pro Motion all are oriented towards indexed painting. You can find all but Deluxe Paint IIe in the tools thread. No real 'tutorial' is available, since the indexed painting tools vary between programs.
however, an review of some of the things provided by 1 or more of these programs:
 * auto AA for shapes
 * 'shading' drawing modes (shading to the next/prev color in a range)
 * color stenciling ('readonly colors')
 * actually useful gradient fill modes
 * opacity for drawing (and for shapes -- so eg you can draw partially-transparent polygons)
 * pattern stencil (for things like dithering)
 * smudge
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 06:04:07 pm
http://www.freeverse.com/killmonty/

"greatest blastfest since battle-girl and smashtv" ~nem, 4.5 out of 5 katanas

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 08:00:06 pm
Happy evan, Birthday! :)