AuthorTopic: Adventure Game Studio  (Read 10971 times)

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Re: Adventure Game Studio

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 06:30:44 am
yeah that's me. I still make AGS games. The AGS community is probably the nicest and most jerk-free community of those revolving around game-making engines. It's my original home on the internets.

I was poking around their forums and yeah they, seem like a nice group of people. I've heard its hard to make
cutscenes with AGS without being a good scripter, is this true? Is there anyway to import a cutscene "animation" that
just plays instead of being scripted using the game sprites? I'd love to make a game in my spare time but I'm afraid I'm terrible at scripting and programming.

To Crab:

5 days a stranger actually freaked me out somewhat, the person tells the story very well.
Make sure you try "No action Jackson" as well, its very good.

Many people have expressed their interest to the KQIX group
that they would be interested if they did  their own game. So hopefully they do.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 05:06:09 pm
you can import a gif pretty much as is and play it as an animation, or you could play a .fli or even .avi if I remember correctly. But all these will take much more space than if you scripted the cutscene in-game ( which I agree is not so much difficult as is it tedious as ags doesn't have a what you see is what you get type of animation editor, and you have to eyeball coordinates and timing until you've got them right)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:29 pm
you should try the sequel next 7(6?) days a skeptic. I won't give away anything, but it's definitely got something a tad more frightening than the first. I'm downloading Action jackson now. Heh, I've got at least 10 of these now, soon to have more.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 02:32:00 am
get Rode Kill, Aaron's Epic Journey, Tulle's World 4, hmm 6 day assassin, might like my recent stuff like Caverns or Gladiator Quest

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 05:47:18 am
you should try the sequel next 7(6?) days a skeptic. I won't give away anything, but it's definitely got something a tad more frightening than the first. I'm downloading Action jackson now. Heh, I've got at least 10 of these now, soon to have more.

yeah I heard it was even more freaky. The "Oh father" scene in 5 days a stranger was what creeped me out.

Thanks helm! Thats great to know. I'll try the scripting and if its beyond my capabilities I'll try the movies.
I have to finish up a current side project I'm doing and then I may try an adventure game myself. I'm not sure
what audience I would want to target though, I'd love to target the old fans of point and click adventures
but still incorporate my style into it. I'm just not sure how many point and click adventure players like animeish stuff.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 09:23:44 pm
...might like my recent stuff like Caverns or Gladiator Quest
I'm having trouble finding them. The links that I've found via google are all dead. You know where I can find them?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 10:15:10 pm
oh yeah, server crashed, we lost everything there, dead links. Oh well, I guess nobody will get to play them again.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 10:29:38 pm
Since we're talking about Adventure games, I thought I would post some links to some flash adventure gmaes I've enjoyed

http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/arcane/home.jsp Arcane, probably one of the most polished adventure games I've come across.
http://www.flashplayer.com/games/elmstreet.html Might like this if you're a fan of Nightmare From Elm Street.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/173654 In this one you're a ghost who needs to find out who he is.

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?filename=/freefun/Free_Fun_Online.htm&articleType=Free+Fun Got this during a google, it seems like a nice list of flash adventure games. Only played a few, so I can't say whether they're any good or not.