AuthorTopic: Gallery of Chaos! - New Member, Micro Creator  (Read 10222 times)

Offline KidChaos

• An Original...
    • View Profile

Gallery of Chaos! - New Member, Micro Creator

on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:25 pm
Hi!

I am a Micro Creator who normally hangs out at one of the various Microhero boards throughout the web.  I have admired Pixel Art for some time, and decided to make the jump, take the step...  Hopefully I can learn to make Pixel Art as well as some of you...

I'm 35 years old, and a Wine and Spirits Account Representative for a major supplier here in the United States.  I've been married for 10 years, and I have a son.  I enjoy Comics, Movies, computers and Star Wars.  ;)

In order for you to know what level of work I am producing, right now, I thought I'd at least post a few of my Micros so you could tell.  After reading the Rules of this Board, I realize that I have been mostly "dirty tool"ing my work.  I will try and learn how to do it otherwise...

FOR THE RECORD, most of these were created off of one of the standard Microhero templates floating about the web.  Some of them are custom, all of them are manipulated, to break from the template.  I start with the template just to maintain my proportions.

Please feel free to comment on anything here, as I do need a lot of help!!!

Thank you for your time in any respondings....

cryssy

Re: Gallery of Chaos! - New Member, Micro Creator

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:08 pm
I know you admitted to it but using tools sorta disqualifies it as pixel art, but here I am sure you will learn how to make things wonderful with just pixels.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:12:48 pm
Hiya KidChaos! Good to see you here. You've come to the right place to learn.  :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:26:39 pm
Do you want critique on your pieces you've posted, or would you like to try something cleanly pixel-art before the crittage commences? I suggest the latter.

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 09:41:05 pm
I suggest the latter.

coming from Helm, I'd take that advice
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:52:25 pm
What does that even mean? I'm just suggesting that so we can best help the guy, it's not ment in any other way.

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:57:32 pm
just meant that (from my point of view) you know what you're talking about and that advise from you
should be something to be considered at the least.

other then that it was my way of saying post something of your own to get the full critique you can really use.

but as with most things my mind ran of and what I posted wasn't all that clear.

in short, I meant nothing wrong with it
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:45:06 pm
Hey, welcome. Looking at those stuff, you've clearly got potential to do some nifty stuff, but like Helm suggested and eqko emphasized, it'd be best if you tried to make something pixel by pixel first. You might have some problems with pillow shading going on, and there's a possibility you'll want to tone down your saturation on some of the stuff, but we'll take care of that once we get to it, right? Now try to make something the old-skool way. Push some pixels, preserve some colors, and we'll nitpick the hell out of the result!

All for the sake of improvement of course. Good luck!

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 10:46:01 pm
Basically they're saying these aren't pixel art. Because you used anti aliased brushes to color them.

Why don't you ask some questions that could possibly help you better understand what pixel art is.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:49:46 pm
I like the pilot best. He has a good design. Maybe you could do more to make his arm look metallic. The
shading is a bit inconsistent. For the head, the light source looks above and centre, for the circle thing
on his belt it looks above and to the left, for the boots it looks like there is two light sources, for clothes it
looks like its front on. I think it would be improved if you picked on light source. Maybe if the gold stuff was
dithered that would be good. Also you could have a few bright white higlights etc. The skull and cross
bones is cool.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi