AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Frog  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Chow Train

• View Profile

[Feedback] Frog

on: February 02, 2019, 04:33:54 am
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I am posting with the hope of making friends and learning how to practice the craft of Pixel Art. My long term goal is to be able to do Isometric pixel art in a 32x32 form.

Anyway, without further rambling, here is a frog I worked on in Pyxel.edit's Gameboy palette. I made it tiny to try and practice pixel placement and because I am quite the newbie.

Any and all advice is welcome, some of the simplest critiques will likely open my world up significantly.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] Frog

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:26:48 pm
Hi Chow Train and a warm welcome to Pixelation.  :)

In any visual medium you choose, the foundation is drawing ability. It's always there, regardless of style or resolution. Pixel art has additional quirks and technical considerations on top of this existing challenge, so my first advice is to pay extra attention to understanding what it is you're drawing.

You can save yourself a lot of time as an artist by practicing the fundamentals with pencil and paper, and this skill transfers to any medium. Of course, you can practice your pixel art at the same time. Taking your subject as an example, I look up references for the green frog, rana clamitans. I make a few studies so that I understand what makes a frog a frog, noting its proportions and features. I always use a reference because if I'm going to portray a subject, I need to understand it.

After understanding my subject, I created a 4-bit 32x32 on a neutral background. It's good that you've started small, I think 32x32 is a good size to learn at. But you'll learn more if you make your own palettes as you go.

At this resolution there are higher priorities than accuracy, namely, readability. So you'll notice I exaggerated some parts and simplified others. There's a delicate balance between noise and detail. Other pixel-specific considerations are things like clusters and banding. Cure made a great intro tutorial on this.

P.S. On this forum you can click or shift-click to zoom images, but it only works if you include the direct url in [img] tags. Then people can critique your work easier.