AuthorTopic: Boss - "Hippodrakus"  (Read 11013 times)

cryssy

Re: Boss - "Hippodrakus"

Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 04:17:31 am
I agree I would elongate the muscles by 1 or 2 pixels
As for the emptiness on the arms why not like shackles, that would make him a little more imposing that he broke out of his constraints
bah I am no good for ideas sorry

yosh64

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 05:55:09 am
hey

I think the shading/lighting looks very pillowy, and lacks depth. Hmm, to me the light source looks to be directly from the front, which I think is a bad idea. I think it will add alot more depth and such if you make the light source from above.

edit

Well I kinda done a quick edit, still in very early stages. Regarding my edit, the lines need alot of work, so to alot of the shading/lighting, and I changed his left arm, it looked very odd how it was to me. I'm not sure if I will complete the edit or not.

Ohh, and I think you should concerntrate more on lighting/shading, and less on detail. I think that you should maybe even erase some of your detail, as so you can more clearly see the core shape for the lighting. Hmm, I think you shouldn't even start, nor think about adding detail without first understanding the lighting. I dunno, just a thought.

cya
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:02:55 am by yosh64 »

Offline Ar

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 05:02:50 pm
Awesome design! I love it.
My suggestion in edit:

Your -> mine.
A bit more contrast and more aa for soften look. I added one green colour and remove one red. I edited only his head and torso, because I'm lazy. ;)
Sorry for my english. I hope you understand this post.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:04:55 pm by Ar »
Every pixel is important.

Scotteh

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 05:29:43 pm
to be honest, i sort of think it looks better without the tail, looks more like the sketch now ::)

cryssy

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 09:40:46 pm
imo as well I think no tail or wings would suit just fine but since I have a tail fetish I couldn't help myself and I played around

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 10:19:23 am
What're you all talking about? Of course he needs his wings! I like tails as well, but I wouldn't mind ditching that. Because, without the tail and with the wings, it reminds me a LOT of Wonderboy III (The Dragon's Trap). That game had some really good, really ugly semi-dragon monsters. I'd just make the wings stretch out a lot less and make them much smaller. Like, disproportionally small, so he'd never even think about using them to attempt flight, but they're still there to make him look all scary.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 11:11:05 am
The wings were supposed to be there from the start, I just messed up with the sketch and saved over the big one that was 'finished', so the wings stay.  :)

I've messed around futher with the colors/contrast, added new wings and a new tail. I've ditched the fin idea. The coloring will probably be redone later on to be more from the above (read Skullkrakens tutorial about it a few days ago). Also added sweatbands on his wrist, just to test it.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 01:29:31 pm
If you want the bands around the arms make them spiked so he looks like a real badass. I like the linework for this piece, i think that tail doesnt quite look right and that the colour is a bit off in places i will hopefully find time to make an edit, but this is definately looking good.
***edit***
This is the way i would have gone about colouring the Hippodrakus, I redid all the brown areas, and added to the green parts. Ignoring the colouring being brown (thats a palette i had at hand) I think this edit can give some insight into how you could rework the colours. Personally im not a fan of the colouring style seen in your mockup. The left (our right) arm was altered as it is a tad too long. The points behind the colouring i was hoping to bring up are that it can appear a lot cleaner with better colour choice and restriction of colour, this uses 12 colours plus transperancy. Also if you want you can fit in a lot more detail into your piece, as can be seen with the face,etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:44:24 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 03:05:06 pm
Personally i would have kept the tail long, and had the fin rise up his back, splitting into two at the top. I think it would be more original and less "oh, it's another monster with tiny wings". Tbh i don't think that idea fits with the game mockups i've seen so far. He needs less lines showing muscle and form, and more shadows and highlights, check out yosh's edit.

Nice work though.  :y:

yosh64

Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 12:59:18 pm
hey

more edits, two new edits, and reduced colors

Well I decided to further do my edit, as my original didn't seem to be enough to get my point across. Again, I think it really lacks lighting and depth. Although I think it did lack some contrast, this isn't the problem. I advise you to use a light source from above, and to try and vision how the light reflects off him, and not worry about the tail or whatever else until you fix the lighting :).

I also found that your lines were quite jagged, and needed some cleaning up. I must say that I think he is well designed, and the lines are quite well placed. I think it's is very important to clean your lines up before you start to add any AA and such. Ohh, I also thought the perspective of the top of his right leg was a bit off.

Finally, I don't seem to like the wrist bands. Hmm, they seem to me more like a way to hide his odd left wrist or whatever, I dunno :\.

Anyhows, I hope this helps.

cyas
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 04:48:59 pm by yosh64 »