AuthorTopic: Boss - "Hippodrakus"  (Read 10966 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Re: Boss - "Hippodrakus"

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:46:34 am
I see what you mean, and when I look at it that way it looks really weird.   
Not the effect I was going for. :huh:

EDIT// Quickfix!

or does it still look like the tail is upside down?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:00:28 am by Luzeke »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 02:28:21 am
yes. technically that green side of the tail should be on the bottom, and it connects to the lighter parts of the stomach area. (which should be a consistent color.)

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 02:56:28 am

The green "thingy" is supposed to be a variant of a fin (therefore the color isn't that of the chest area). I'll try one more time to get this to look right, if it still looks wrong I'll scrap the whole tail and make a new one.

To further illustrate the point I added the chest area colors to the tails underside.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 03:18:10 am
on a crocodile the underside goes from the bottom of the jaw, down the neck, down the chest and stomach area, then between the legs and down to the bottom of the tail, but it's all on the underside of the creature.

here's an example:

You have to think of it this way: where on his body would the ground touch if he were laying on his stomach?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:22:43 am by Stwelin »

cryssy

Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 03:27:26 am
I think I understand you are trying have a fin like trail down his tail...if it goes up his back maybe it would help to make the fin more pronounced that way it would be easier to tell it was a fin and not look like an underside

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 03:32:08 am
 :huh:...

OH! i get it now. the green part on the tail is like the fin on a stegosaurus! in that case, the tail is reaaaalllly thin. I think it would clear up some of the confusion if you made the tail a little thicker and then seperated the fin extension so it doesn't look like webbing, it looks too much like the segmented underside of a croc.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 03:48:19 am
Thank you Cryssy. Tore of his wings and messed around a little, adding fins on his back. I made the fins "stems" thicker.

Reference pic from the Draconomicon (love that book) on my original idea about the fins.
Here the tail is thicker than the fin though. I sorta went the other way

:)

I'll probably redo the tail anyways. But that'll have to wait for tomorrow, I'm sleepy.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:50:38 am by Luzeke »

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 10:10:00 am
I think what you need to do to convey the fins being fins more is to have the 'skin' between the fins sag/curve more right now they're straight as can be which leads our mind to see
them as the outline of the tail rather then where the blue ends

furthermore, the angle at which the tail currently is would mean that it's almost at a 90 degree angle to the body which is near impossible

have it go straight out then curve lazily to the side.
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 11:55:36 am
It looks flat.
Add more contrast.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 03:40:25 am
I added another shade on blue. Now there's 5 shades of blue in the pic. But since he primarily consists of blue I don't think it's a big issue.
I'll fiddle around with the contrast a bit, thought I haven't in this pic (except the added shade).

I'd like some thoughts about the arms, more precisely the wrists. There's a lack of detail around there which I don't like, but I am seemingly unable to add stuff there without it getting clogged instead of detailed.
A friend also commented on the arms looking a little bubbly, like the muscles are to short. She thinks the placement looks good, but they look too short. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:45:22 am by Luzeke »