AuthorTopic: Boss - "Hippodrakus"  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Boss - "Hippodrakus"

on: January 25, 2007, 05:01:24 pm
This boss was supposed to be a fusion between a hippo and a dragon. The boss would have a lack of self-confidence since he was bullied for not being a real dragon, though he claims to be a fullblood dragon. His catchphrase "I am TOO a dragon!"

The sketch:

Lines for the sprite version:

The head looks more crocodile-ish than I intended. But that's allright  :P
It's all done by mouse.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:03:36 pm by Luzeke »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: Boss - "Hippodrakus"

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:09:19 pm
The sketch one is pretty cool. I'd work on progressing that over the sprite version (unless there's a size restriction or something) as it's not thaaat much bigger, and came out a lot cooler so far. :y:

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:16:18 pm
He seems to have lost some of his chub in the sprite version - it looks almost like he got stretched a little bit horizontally when you shrank him to sprite size. What I miss most, though, is some of the nice shapes that you had in the head in the sketch version. The right ear sticking up, the strong jawline, the horn on the end of the nose, they're all absent from the sprite. His head looks more cowlike and less rhino-like in the sprite. The right arm in the sprite also looks a little wonky, but looks fine in the sketch.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:23:13 pm
The tail looks way too stiff. If you're gonna animate him I think you should either shorten the tail to a stub, or cut it all together. It will only lead to further problems.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:28:09 am
I'd personally loose the tail and wings, or with the wings have em in an inactive position aposed to fully extended, as if this guy could take flight anyway.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:48:37 am
as if this guy could take flight anyway.

I think technically his wingspan would have to be about 4 - 6 times his body width. I'd suggest ditching the wings too.

I like the tail though. It needs to thin gradually, it looks the same width right up until the end.

Offline Shin

• "The one who is true."
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:52:16 am
THe wings should stay but I think they should be a lot smaller. He looks to dragonish for a dragon that is supposed to be riduculed for not being a reall dragon. As for the tail, I agree with Sherman. You might want to shorten it or cut off all together; I say cut it of. But ofcourse, it your work and only my opinion - others like it and I do too.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:20:45 am
A talking hippo/dragon doesn't really need to confine itself to the laws of physics. I say let 'im fly. If anything, make the wings smaller so it's more comical.

But I do agree that the fully extended tail is a bit much.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 01:31:36 am
Thanks for all your comments so far!  ;D

I've started adding some test colors. I also changed the head, fixed his tail (I wanted it to be kindah long, but it got a little too long i guess ^^). With colors, what I was going for with his tail might be a little clearer. It has a fin... thing.
I'll see what I can do with the wings, I'll scrap the current ones and add smaller more cartoony wings instead. Added blood on his fangs, no particular reason. I just messed around a little.

He won't be able to fly, but in true video-game manner they help him to jump higher  ;)

EDIT// I was meaning to do show this as well.

Although the two versions are similar in size I felt that this was a little to big a difference.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:38:11 am by Luzeke »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:31 am
Thanks for all your comments so far!  ;D

I've started adding some test colors. I also changed the head, fixed his tail (I wanted it to be kindah long, but it got a little too long i guess ^^). With colors, what I was going for with his tail might be a little clearer. It has a fin... thing.
I'll see what I can do with the wings, I'll scrap the current ones and add smaller more cartoony wings instead. Added blood on his fangs, no particular reason. I just messed around a little.

He won't be able to fly, but in true video-game manner they help him to jump higher  ;)

EDIT// I was meaning to do show this as well.

Although the two versions are similar in size I felt that this was a little to big a difference.

hmmm his tail seems..upside down..I would expect the greenish area to be the "bottom" of the tail..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.