AuthorTopic: Isometric explorations  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Isometric explorations

on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:33 am
Hey guys, it's been a while.  Been playing with some isometric stuff lately for a game idea.  Figured i'd dump it here as I go to gather some feedback.

Tonight I started making a pine:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:33:15 am by Indigo »

Offline EddyZ

• I am a beet!
    • View Profile
    • Rising

Re: Isometric explorations

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:34:10 pm
I think, this is a nice one. I like this style. :y: In fact the most regular pine-trees (i know) have a thin and tall trunk. Also the bark is often in a redish brown.( - idk if its a seasonal thing or just the age of the tree but sometimes they have a gradient from the top/brown to a dark grey color on the bottom.)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:00:21 pm
I am agreeing with everything here, including the view, the occlusion after the second row of leaves and the reflected green light on the bark. Is it a regrown pine? I like that it is not the standard cone, but you are probably going to need a number of variations on standard ones to blend this one among them on the scene.

Is this for the 3d-ish thing you posted? :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:02:02 pm
That's not a pine, it's a spruce or a fir xP Pines have upward-facing or horizontal branches that tend to look fluffy and don't have quite that sprucey branch structure, they're more like typical trees in terms of where the leaves/needles grow.

Seconding EddyZ's feedback about the trunk, it doesn't fit the species at all. Spruces, firs, and pine usually have thin, rough trunks, reddish or grey depending on the species. The roughness is a major characteristic. Even if all the trees in the game have thick trunks and it becomes obvious as a stylistic choice, getting the other features right would really help sell the trunks as intentional.

The top of the tree feels very artificial, almost like a hat. There should probably be some smaller/younger branches at the top. The current look could work for a highly stylised tree, but the rest of the tree is too realistic for that to fit imo.

The pixelling, however, is top-notch :>

Edit: Would you mind not including a width with your IMG tag? It breaks the forum's zooming.

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:31:10 pm
I don't know if it's a pine, but the color and design is beautiful...

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:58:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

So I really wasn't putting that much thought about what specific tree it is, and was more playing with shapes from imagination.  The trunk is fat and short simply so it can fill most of the tile space and not feel odd being collidable, that and I think it looks kinda cool stylistically.

@eishiya
You totally made me have to look this up:
The Pinaceae (pine family) are trees or shrubs, including many of the well-known conifers of commercial importance such as cedars, firs, hemlocks, larches, pines and spruces.

Pretty confusing that a pine is a genus of the pine family ;)

I'll probably play with the colors some more and play with the top branches as you suggest.

@Vinik
Thanks! Yeah the idea is to make a scene using that 2.5D tech I was posting about on twitter.  Will definitely need several variations for sure.

@Eddy
Thanks, I'll play with the colors some more

@aureotoshi
Thanks a bunch :)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:13 am
This has really lovely volume  ;D

The main issues I have are with the perspective. Specifically the root on the left hand side of the tree looks a bit misplaced. Like it is a short stump growing off the side of the tree. And while the trunk is extremely straight, the top two tiers of leaves seems to drift off to the northwest a little. The two sets of leaves that are beneath the second tier on the right hand side jut out fairly far which doesn't help with that.

I think the leaves coming to a point at the tip looks pretty strange, both the rendering and the construction.

It might also be nice for the second from the top tier of leaves to be a little bit narrower, as it is it feels like the tree has a bulb of leaves at the top rather than the tapering that I would associate with a pine.

Can't wait to see more from this project, the stuff you've been posting on twitter looks awesome  :)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:36 am
Great feedback.  Agree with all of it I think.  will try to find some time to update soon

Offline aureotoshi

• Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:43 am
Have to taken a look yo marmoset hexels? it gives you directly an isometric pattern to paint over.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:10:07 am
Ooh I love this, so chunky! Bottom of the trunk looks good to me but yeah from the middle it seems to fall away from us to the top-left.  :y: