Critique > Pixel Art

Isometric explorations

(1/2) > >>

Indigo:
Hey guys, it's been a while.  Been playing with some isometric stuff lately for a game idea.  Figured i'd dump it here as I go to gather some feedback.

Tonight I started making a pine:

EddyZ:
I think, this is a nice one. I like this style. :y: In fact the most regular pine-trees (i know) have a thin and tall trunk. Also the bark is often in a redish brown.( - idk if its a seasonal thing or just the age of the tree but sometimes they have a gradient from the top/brown to a dark grey color on the bottom.)

Vinik:
I am agreeing with everything here, including the view, the occlusion after the second row of leaves and the reflected green light on the bark. Is it a regrown pine? I like that it is not the standard cone, but you are probably going to need a number of variations on standard ones to blend this one among them on the scene.

Is this for the 3d-ish thing you posted? :)

eishiya:
That's not a pine, it's a spruce or a fir xP Pines have upward-facing or horizontal branches that tend to look fluffy and don't have quite that sprucey branch structure, they're more like typical trees in terms of where the leaves/needles grow.

Seconding EddyZ's feedback about the trunk, it doesn't fit the species at all. Spruces, firs, and pine usually have thin, rough trunks, reddish or grey depending on the species. The roughness is a major characteristic. Even if all the trees in the game have thick trunks and it becomes obvious as a stylistic choice, getting the other features right would really help sell the trunks as intentional.

The top of the tree feels very artificial, almost like a hat. There should probably be some smaller/younger branches at the top. The current look could work for a highly stylised tree, but the rest of the tree is too realistic for that to fit imo.

The pixelling, however, is top-notch :>

Edit: Would you mind not including a width with your IMG tag? It breaks the forum's zooming.

aureotoshi:
I don't know if it's a pine, but the color and design is beautiful...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version