AuthorTopic: Here goes a space gnome sprite  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Here goes a space gnome sprite

on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:15 am

Had a blast playing pen-and-paper rpg yesterday, after a very long while. It was a starfinder session, I rolled a megalomaniac gnome space-walker, and the guys asked for a few sprites of the characters. Never felt so inclined to use that many shades and leave so many single pixels before, but the shinning/rubbery suit somehow asked for it, at the cost of banding and packed gradients. Any suggestions?

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: Here goes a space gnome sprite

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 04:41:56 pm
Nice work like always :) . A few comments: are those chest plates or shoulder pads? For me, they're in an awkward in between state. Also, the pixels jutting out in the leg-to-crotch corner look conspicuous, and the shading around the crotch looks weird to me in general. One more thing, the bright pixels above the mouth are confusing my eyes to thinking he is grinning. Is he grinning? I dunno, the mouth area is just unclear.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:26:04 pm
Ah, damn I can see I tried something that didn't went so clear at this scale :D the lowest curved line is actually his chin, his mouth is the straight line directly below his nose, because he was supposed to look quite old, with a flabby neck and no visible jawline, just the tip of the chin appearing as protuberance, and his mouth is receded like that of a toothless elder not wearing his denture. Hmm, I will rethink his face as a whole, thanks.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:35:19 am
Really nice. I like the face. Crotch looks a bit funny, having the bulbousness but also going inwards at the centre. Fists look ok zoomed but a little noisy from afar. Not sure you need that dark line for the area below the neck, or at least for all of it (maybe not needed around the chest area). I think a bit of colour wouldn't go amiss, maybe with his boots or belt.  :y:

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:58 pm
Suddenly motivational critique during stressful UI programming brings me back to what I like to do. Thanks :). I'll retouch this.