AuthorTopic: Difficulty starting to make pixel art characters.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Luzii

• View Profile

Difficulty starting to make pixel art characters.

on: January 27, 2019, 11:07:25 pm
Hi, i am trying to make pixel art so i can start making a game.

I can kinda make objects, but for characters i have a hard time thinking of a good body shape, could someone help me with this?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Difficulty starting to make pixel art characters.

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:57:47 pm
I'm gonna give you the advice I wish some other people had given me back in the day:

don't do pixel art till you can draw somewhat well with traditional.

Go do studies, read up on the loomis guides, draw from reference, figure out bone and muscle groups

it's gonna take a long while maybe but you're gonna have a far better time learning if you're not trying to learn through pixel art like I was
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Ackernym

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:33:37 am
I agree with MysteryMeat. Honestly, I think the best way to think about and approach pixel art is to view it as an abstraction of traditional drawing, mainly because of the limitations inherent to the medium. The thing is, if you don't have a good base knowledge of how the human body works then trying to simplify it is usually not going to end well.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:25:39 am
Yeah, I begin all of my character sprites with a full figure drawing. I then pick out the different limbs and elements that need to be visually prominent and set to simplifying it down to 20x20 pixels or whatever resolution I am using.