AuthorTopic: [WIP] Snake, man.  (Read 10867 times)

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

[WIP] Snake, man.

on: January 24, 2007, 04:39:38 am
Something else I've been working on. At the moment I'm trying to get a clear view of how the main snake body should be shaded/shaped/etc before I go crazy adding detail there.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:15:13 am by ptepid »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: [WIP] Snake, man.

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:51:25 am
The spine ends on the...side of his head?

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:55:59 am
Hrmm, yeah I guess I haven't updated that part of the image. :) I've been messing with the body shape a lot.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:09:11 am
Imagine if that snake was on a plane   D:

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:28:55 am
Imagine if that snake was on a plane   D:

Offline pixelsforhire

• http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:43:20 am
Hmmm, given the lack of pixel-perfect detail and that extremely large resolution, I don't see why you would choose to do this in pixel art. I mean, unless you seriously overhaul it, this could easily and more effectively be done in vector art... I'm not trying to offend, I really like the shape and the style, I just... well... ok I'm shutting up now. If it was handled a bit more traditionally, it would look like a Disgaea enemy.

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 06:28:28 am
Hmmm, given the lack of pixel-perfect detail and that extremely large resolution, I don't see why you would choose to do this in pixel art. I mean, unless you seriously overhaul it, this could easily and more effectively be done in vector art... I'm not trying to offend, I really like the shape and the style, I just... well... ok I'm shutting up now. If it was handled a bit more traditionally, it would look like a Disgaea enemy.
No offense taken. ;) I do actually plan to have pixel-level detail (a bit of which you can see around the mouth area). I'm just currently mocking up how the shading on the body will look, and that's what I'm looking for feedback on so far (i.e. before I actually go down to pixel level). It's going to eventually be covered in pixelled scales and be awesome. That's the plan anyway.

The reason it's such a large resolution is I rarely attempt pieces of this size and I'd like to practice making large boss-type sprites. For example, imagine the kinda boss you'd see in Metal Slug, or a SNES RPG, taking up most of the screen area (if not more) and looking all menacing. :)

Offline pixelsforhire

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:49:22 am
Oh wow. My hat is off to you, then. That's going to be a bit project.

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:23:26 pm
Haven't had much time to work on this recently, or any pixel art for that matter. Thought I'd update to show what I'm doing with the scales.

The arms aren't there because I haven't touched them yet, they still look like the original. :) I'm thinking I might rework how the body twists... although I like the look of it, it seems a pretty unrealistic pose for a snake.

Offline ptepid

• Token Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ptepid's repository

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 12:14:28 pm
*Summons topic from the realm of the dead*

Yes, I've updated this old thing.

Pretty happy with the snake, the rocks need work (though I like the sketchy look...). Grass needs replacing. ;)
Large jump from the last update I know, but I don't think I'll post all the in-between files. Maybe as an animation when I'm finished with this monstrosity.