AuthorTopic: Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all  (Read 12234 times)

Offline o_8

• View Profile

Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all

on: January 24, 2007, 12:47:13 am
Hi, my name is Alex / o_8

I'm kind of new to pixel art stuff, so I'm eager to see stuff here, as well as learn a lot

Me and some friends are working on a fighting game called Skullgirls, so I've been making and animating sprites mostly for that lately. I might post stuff from that here from time to time.

However, in the meantime, here are a few other random pixel things I've made before... most are kind of old, but I guess my style is still similar:

Nice meeting you all m(__)m

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:40:37 am
Welcome!

I read the last few, gosh, probably months of your blog after I found the link in pkmays's thread.  I was totally tickled by all the fan art(Ayame ftw), I have to agree with pkmays, it's really inspiring to see so much crazy character and costume design in one place!  I don't really have many crits, outside of a desire to see more pixel art that perhaps differs stylistically - your palettes are solid, you seem fairly comfortable with outlines (or the lack thereof), and your designs are really fun and read well.  It'd be fun to see a few pieces that are slightly more realistic or detailed/busy - not to prove anything but to see another skilled artist's take on the art form we all love :)  Some more animation would be fun to see to.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:47:33 am
Hellooo! :D
I really like the style of all this stuff. It's like, perfect for animation. I was looking through your site the other day and looking at those space pirates and thinking "I wish I could tell this guy how great I think those are."
But wait! You're here!
So I will tell you how great I think they are:
I think they're great.

But when I was looking at them on your site I was also thinking "I wish I could tell him they'd look even better if their legs didn't look so flat from the side."
But wait! You're here!
So I will tell you how I think they'd look even better if their legs didn't look so flat from the side:
They'd look even better if their legs didn't look so flat from the side.

Alright, enough of my nonsense. Hello and welcome to Pixelation!
Seriously though, these things would be perfect for like a game or something...would you mind if I tried my hand at making them move? Are you going to be doing anything with them?
Either way, as I said, I think the far leg is too thin. Also, it lacks a calf.
The first picture, with the sled and cube-creatures, is really cool. I especially like the...well, "things." How you made angular creatures look so soft. I can almost imagine them being rubbery. But the one thing that bugs me is that the red critters' legs are running all at the same time rather than the left & right leg pairs being offset by even just a little bit.
The Jackal is cool. The only thing I'm seeing is that the cape's hexagonal pattern is kinda messy...and I think the hook'd look cooler if it were pointed slightly toward the viewer.
I haven't got any crits for the little people on the bottom except that
a) their necks are like, attached to the very very back of their head
and
b) the yellow chick with the big white thing seems kinda stiff.

That's it from me!

Oh, and I know you said this stuff was old, but I couldn't go without saying something.  ;D

~~Xion [M. Night]

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:19:33 am
welcome! anyway, your art is awesome!

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:48:41 am
Yes! I'm glad to see you here.

And to get things started on the right foot, here's an edit.  :O)

The hook and head vent-thing break with the non-outlined style of the piece. I suspect these may have been made on a white or transparant background, which I'd recommend against. If this character were in a game environment, he'd be walking through all sorts of colors of various brightness, and I'd bet very few of them would be pure white. When working, I like to constantly change the background color to make sure the sprite is readable in a variety of settings. Something close to a mid gray (128, 128, 128 in RGB) also works as a median color.

Anyway welcome, I love what I've seen so far, and look forward to seeing more.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:24:59 am
this stuff is really great, i'll have to remember to watch for your work. I especially like the dark blue character, it reminds me of Ghost in the Shell, for some reason. I really like the facemask.

Overall in your work i see a resemblance to the style of this artist: www.redbeardead.com
I like the no-outlines/cellshading style, i'm sure it will look fabulous in a fighting game.

Welcome aboard. :)

Offline Naso

• ...?
    • View Profile
    • My PixelJoint

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:47:47 am
Wow, very nice work. Reminds me a lot of Doukutsu Montogari~ Cave Story, i mean really a lot of that game, Nice to meet you ='D and welcome to forums =3
Cant wait to see some more stuff from you =D

Cheese Cake -naso

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:32:53 am
Hello. You are very skilled. From your stage, I'd suggest investigating manual anti-alias, using a full color spectrum (from pure black to pure white) in a piece, palette trickery and management, dithering and such. These are the skills of the pixel artist, I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about if you investigate the history of the medium a bit. Your stuff is great even without any aa and with small palettes, but do push yourself a bit outside your comfort zone and this medium will inspire you in some unexpected ways.

Welcome to the boards.

Offline Greenwing

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:31:54 am
Overall in your work i see a resemblance to the style of this artist: www.redbeardead.com

Oh i thought this was the same guy untill you said this.
I mean the readbeardead artist's name is allso Alex.

and judgning from the face in the sled i think you are a member of satelitesoda too =) gash i am such a lurker.
Lovely stuff.
I really enjoy yellow.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:48:12 pm
Criminy, that's some cool stuff. I'm guessing you're a Kingdom Hearts fan  ;) All in all it's some good lookin' stuff. I only have one piece of advice: Your sprites all use muted colors, which looks cool, but can sometimes make it difficult to distinguish characters in a fast-moving action game as they will tend to blend into the background. It's easier to get away with with enemies than with the main character.
I mild from suffer dislexia.